Exhaust Manifolds to use in 64 Impala with a 454

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Got a buddy who wants to put his 454 in a 64 Impala. He does not want to use headers and whishes to stay with manifolds. I told him to use the Corvette BB ones as they are supposed to work and you can get them on feebay for less than $300. I did this myself back in the late 80's but the RH side was a nightmare with the 68 and up Passenger side sweep back style, I think the 65-66 Pass car ones would work. What did you guys use?.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
......have these for sale if you think they would work.......:rub

Pair of 1968 Corvette 427 A.I.R. exhaust manifolds 3880827 (LH) and 3880828 (RH) .
Remarkably both dated H27 (Aug 2, 1967).
One broken flange on the 3880827 (LH) manifold.

According to Colvin 'Chevrolet by the Numbers' these can be used on all 427 Corvettes 1966 thru 1969.
and 1966 passenger cars.
Manifold 3880828 (RH) also used 1970 thru 1974 Corvette according to Colvin.

Both manifolds removed from a 1968 Corvette in 1977 and are in good restorable condition with all numbers readable.

asking US$300. obo shipping available.......if sold here will make donation to Bob's site.68 Corvette Ex Man 3880827 and 3880828.JPG
68 Corvette Ex Man 3880827.JPG
68 flange 1.jpg

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Thanks for the offer, but he is still unsure if they will work in the car, so if drops the $$$ for some and they do not work he is out a lot bread. He was saying the he did find the Vette ones on feebay for like $275 new, shipped for free. They are re-pops of course. Wonder why some china foundry has not re-popped the std. 2.5 exhaust manifolds, they could make a killing on those.

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
The LS corvette manifold is the only manifold that will work on the Left if you have a manual trans car ..... The chevelle , nova , camaro , later pass car R/S manifolds work well ... I have done this and it will work !!! :clap

427John

Well Known Member
The corvette manifold will clear the forward mount clutch pivot the earlier cars and trucks used,thats what what I used on my 64 truck,the 89 and later truck manifold may clear the pivot and is 2.5 outlet but is rear dump and may get into the firewall,it did on my truck but Impalas may have more clearance there.Big truck manifolds are 2.5 outlet also but are more like a forward center dump.

427John

Well Known Member
67 and later trucks and pass cars 65 and later(except for corvette and I think chevy II)moved the clutch z-bar farther back and the pivot threaded into the block near the very back of the block,earlier cars and trucks the pivot threaded into the block forward of the oil filter,and most BBC manifolds for the later cars and pickups cover the forward boss for the clutch pivot.If it is a stick car and he intends to keep the z-bar in the stock location that will be the first hurdle to clear.