Exhaust opinion 64 Impala SS

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My car hopefully will be going in for exhaust in the next few days, it is a 64, SS, 409 engine.

THERE IS NO WRONG OPINION, I just want to see other opinions.

So my set up, Doug's TRI Y headers, ceramic coated, installed, now back when I bought this stuff, I thought straight out the rear with tips, either side of the license plate, chrome tips for a finished look.

Now that I have had almost 5 years building, I am starting to think that does not look so good on the ass end of a 64, and kind of boring.

Then I thought, turned out and down in front of the rear wheels, then I thought NO, I have had another one set up like that and the exhaust just constantly was dumping all over my rims making for a clean up night mare and appearance. My thinking as time has went by, has changed to keeping it a factory dual look for finish look, so out the back turned towards the corner of each end of the bumper facing downward.

I had already bought SUPER 10's for mufflers, because I wanted obnoxious, and to be heard, I am thinking I should have bought the 40's instead for a little more mellow sound. I know I cannot tolerate straight exhaust sounds with no mufflers coming straight out of the headers, so I welcome any thoughts or suggestions, if anyone in this group would HAVE an opinion, lol.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've got a set of Doug's and 2 1/2" pipe through my home made mufflers and 2 1/2" tail pipes exiting in the stock location. I don't care for the pipes in front of the rear tires or straight out the back.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a set of Doug's and 2 1/2" pipe through my home made mufflers and 2 1/2" tail pipes exiting in the stock location. I don't care for the pipes in front of the rear tires or straight out the back.
Agreed!!! I thought I liked it, but to me now days, it looks dumb and like it don't belong.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
One nice thing is the muffler shop is going to slip my Super 10's on so I can hear them, and would you believe they said if I do not like them, they have another set of a different type they will sell me, lol , of course the Super 10's will be used at that point and they will buy them for scrap, for $10, lol

62BillT

Well Known Member
I too tried the exhaust in front of the rear wheels once and not only did it get my wheels dirty, it ruined the chrome on my chrome reverse wheels. The old leaded gas days probably contributed to it, but I still won't be going that route again.

Stock position is a good choice.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I've had mine dumped in front of the rear wheels for a while now. Maybe it's my crappy tuning ability but my wife can tell that I've been driving my 61 by smelling my clothes. lol I think the super 10's out the back would be best. I'm going to install taller springs and get the exhaust run out back this winter.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've had mine dumped in front of the rear wheels for a while now. Maybe it's my crappy tuning ability but my wife can tell that I've been driving my 61 by smelling my clothes. lol I think the super 10's out the back would be best. I'm going to install taller springs and get the exhaust run out back this winter.
I am for sure going out the back all the way, my thought is straight out the back, or to to the corners and 45'd at the corners, like stock looks good I think at the moment.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was thinking the chrome tips for looks, I own them already, but I did not realize they change the overall sound of the exhaust.

Growing up the 409 Sound is so unique that I do not want to change that sound, thats what started this 5 year project was the sound, for me

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No way out the side in front of the tires, looks like you cheaped out to continue. Out the side behind the tires as stock is good. Out the rear but not too close to the license plate, a little farther apart is good, yes on chrome tips

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No way out the side in front of the tires, looks like you cheaped out to continue. Out the side behind the tires as stock is good. Out the rear but not too close to the license plate, a little farther apart is good, yes on chrome tips

agreed

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Oh DesMoines..... If you want to hear my 40 series on my wagon come on over. I can't remember if I started it up last time you stopped by. I'm running Super Comps too so not sure how different that would make it sound. The video of it running is posted on here too. Its pretty mellow but almost sounds to modern for my liking. Seriously thinking some Cherry Bombs need to go on. I ran them on my 64' back in the 90's all through high school and love them. But its an older rougher sound.
40 series
open headers

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Oh DesMoines..... If you want to hear my 40 series on my wagon come on over. I can't remember if I started it up last time you stopped by. I'm running Super Comps too so not sure how different that would make it sound. The video of it running is posted on here too. Its pretty mellow but almost sounds to modern for my liking. Seriously thinking some Cherry Bombs need to go on. I ran them on my 64' back in the 90's all through high school and love them. But its an older rougher sound.
40 series
open headers

Hey good hearing from you, no I do not think you started it the last time I was there, thank you.