Exhausting Subject Questions.

Junky

Well Known Member
My 1962 BelAir wagon with the 327 CI / 300 HP engine has 2 1/2" pipes from front to rear. Both mufflers are bad internally, and the shell is starting to get some holes in it. I ordered new hangers from Show Cars (part #4288) dual exhaust brackets for dual exhaust $175.82, and they are 2" brackets. I attempted to find some measurements in the parts book, but none are given. A long while ago (2006), the previous owner was given some information that the car should have a 2 1/2" exhaust system, and that his car had the wrong exhaust manifolds on the engine ( see thread here ) . The pipes are all good, so I could get away with installing just 2 new mufflers that are 2 1/2" in and out, or I could just buy a complete new system, which would be a waste of money. What was the size of the OEM exhaust system? What do you suggest, return the 2" kit, and get the 2 1/2" exhaust hanger kit and use all my original pipes. and buy 2 new 2 1/2" mufflers try to find 2 1/2" resonators and cut them into the system (any suggestions where to get them?)
To add to this confusion, the rear exhaust hanger for the station wagon isn't offered, so I had the hangers sent to Verne, and he modified the hangers to be like the station wagon hangers (which are 2"). I did speak with Waldron Exhaust, and they said that they can make up the mufflers, but the resonators only come with the pipes, and they are 2". How much do resonators add to quieting the exhaust? Which size exhaust would be best for my car?

I need to get this car quiet to keep the wife happy, since next summer, we will be taking a long drive with it to central Ohio.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
As stated by Ron above all 300 HP -327 62, 63 & 64 Chevy’s had 2 & 1/2 inch to the muffler ( 2 1/2 outlet manifolds ) and 2 inch tailpipes. Even 409 cars had 2 inch tailpipes.

I have disassembled at least 5 - 1962 - factory 327 original cars from different GM plants - all of them had 2 inch tailpipes & tailpipe brackets.

Junky

Well Known Member
Couple questions for clarification on my mind. Where is the first hanger, is it on the front or rear of the muffler? Which is better for mileage, a 2 1/2" front to rear system, or the factory system that starts at 2 1/2", and then transitions to the 2" pipes? Will the car be quieter with a rear resonator installed? Is the front bracket welded to the frame and the rubber straps bolted to it at the top? Thanks

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
For the best overall,2 1/2 all the way back with resonators.The first hanger is at the rear of the muffler.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The factory hanger on the drivers side on single or dual exhaust systems is behind the muffler. The drivers side metal bracket is normally welded to the frame vs the passenger side which has factory holes in the frame( using 2 hex head fine thread mounting bolts) to bolt the identical bracket as used on the drivers side.
The brackets behind the muffler have two rubber/fiber straps ( per bracket ) that bolt to both drivers and passenger upper brackets. The lower bracket attached to the straps is formed to fit the 2 inch pipe and should come with u shaped clamps.
I have not had a car with resonators - I would assume they are quieter With 4 mufflers .
I have pictures of all the factory brackets mounted in the factory locations on my frames with 2 fine thread bolts or a single fine thread hex bolts

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Show Cars sells the factory exhaust system brackets in 2” and in 2 & 1/2 inch sizes.
i have one set of 2 & 1/2 inch and 2 cars with the factory size 2“ brackets for the factory size 2” tailpipes

Junky

Well Known Member
I didn't realize what was on the car, and I had assumed that it was 2" from the exit of the muffler. I had the clamps sent to Verne Franz, since he offered to convert the last clamp hanger to be correct for the station wagon. I have spent a lot of time looking for 2 1/2" resonators, and it appears that are not available, except for some round ones. I have been attempting to keep this car as close to original as possible, so I will probably replace the entire system with the Show Cars exhaust system, if they offer the correct system for the station wagon. I also have a question about the clamps that I purchased, but need to photograph them with my question. Will do that tomorrow.... thanks Junky