Factory cast Z11 heads flow and horse power vs ported?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just wondering. I know the McQuillen Z12 heads will top 900+hp with 600ci. Just wondering about the Factory Z11 cast iron heads. What was the flow numbers on those from the factory and what can be had with some porting? I was thinking I read 400cfm for factory cast or slightly better but not sure now.

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Just wondering. I know the McQuillen Z12 heads will stop 900hp with 600ci. Just wondering about the Factory Z11 cast iron heads. What was the flow numbers on those from the factory and what can be had with some porting? I was thinking I read 400cfm for factory cast or slightly better but not sure now.
Here is an aluminum 509 cu in block with a pair of original 63 Z-11 cast iron heads and intake. A pair of Demon carbs. Built by Lamar and Rob Walden.

755hp, 618 ft lbs of torque. Certainly can’t attribute the heads to all the HP, but they certainly generated a considerably portion.
1674699118887.jpeg

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thats incredible. 755hp with parts designed in 1962, and that thing will fit under a flat hood. Bet they aren't spinning it to 7 grand to get that number either :good I do believe that's the first time I've ever seen original Z stuff on a dyno. Would like to see the car that's going in. Dig that blank water pump!

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was told stock Z-11 flowed 320-330. Tony Schafer ported his brother's and got them to 355. I never heard of anyone getting that much.
I've had at least 10 shops port mine and get to 350. Best was 373. Nick Smithberg. My raised port can flow even more.