Fan position

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Paul....that shroud has 2 bolts per side that 64's used. 61-63 had 3.
Didn't small shrouds have 2 of the larger ribs?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes the small block shrouds had 2 rows of the larger ribs.
I found this same comparison question on some old 61 to 64 Chevy Talk postings with pictures
and the width measurements.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The power window drawing is in the shop manual electrical section.
The 1961 and 1962 is in the 1961 Chevy Shop manual. I would think that the 64 is in the shop manual.
Paul

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
Not to take anything away from this post, but I was wondering if you can get a closer fit inside the shroud then the stock fan ?
I read somewhere, I think it was (Mike) models916 cut down a 19” fan to fit closer to the shroud.
Any idea if it helped with cooling ?
Just wondering is all, I know all the parameters that cause over heating, timing, clutch fan, etc, etc.
My 409 runs fine, it when it sits still or runs slow (in a parade) that’s when it runs into trouble.

Dave

My Dad was having a very similar problem with his 348(started with him running too small of a mechanical fan), it would run fine until he’d go up to Woodward Ave and try cruising with the AC on full blast, and end up boiling over. He’d already bought an aluminum radiator and had just bought an Edelbrock water pump in an attempt to get the temps under control when I found out he was having issues. He was in the beginning stages of building his new 409, and we knew we really wanted to nip the cooling issues in the bud before the new engine got dropped in.
So here is what I came up with. I picked this up from my time playing with Jeeps, it’s popular to swap the mechanical fan out for a 2 speed fan from a mid-late 90s Ford Taurus w/the 3.8 out of the junk yard, or similar year Volvos had a fan that was just as powerful, that the fan was separate from the fan shroud. I’ve only been able to find word-of-mouth specifications on the CFM output of these fans, but the common accepted numbers are 2500CFM low speed, and 5000CFM high speed. I can’t vouch for those specific numbers, but it does the job for Jeeps that crawl along at ~5mph for hours off-road in the dead of summer.

7479C2F7-F281-4E6B-A91E-6FBB00C0694B.jpeg
0B748076-B304-4F40-98E2-859FCD43339D.jpegA5CEF01A-17F1-461B-AF1A-41A9B658BA98.jpegCC48B55D-69DB-4495-A9F8-E5B3D2EC6D8F.jpeg80DC483B-4DCD-414E-940D-DD3BB539695B.jpeg
The Volvo fan(pictured) also comes with a 2 speed relay controller, which I highly recommend using as the fan pulles a lot of power(the voltmeter would dip with my factory 90 amp alternator when it kicked into high speed on my 96 Jeep Cherokee). I wasn’t there when they wired it up, but they wired it so the low speed ran all the time, then put the high speed on a temp switch attached to the temp gauge. It works, but I don’t like that the low speed runs all the time.

This past week I finally got the chance to put it to the test, high 80*s, idling inside my dads garage, no airflow outside of a couple ceiling fans, with the cars AC running full blast, with the low speed fan running, it slowly creeped up to 210* after about 50 minuets, once the high speed fan kicked on, it was back down to 190* within a couple minutes.