Farm Truck W (how about activity and pics)

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a feeling I’m going to have a problem with my 69 shop truck too. I have plenty of W motors to Mach it up! And a new set of stahl flanges. It has a small block in it now. Will probably graf the two together... I have built headers before, so here we go again... Here’s a set of headers I built for my 69 C - 10 with the big block In it. Over the frame 2.1/8 ID 4.5 collectors.8A9A051A-8F9D-4F66-8F91-13858F60D833.jpegB5241E37-4988-4A29-B78D-B3FE83AB39D5.jpeg92771601-59ED-42DF-8C92-BBB3D471F90B.jpegBD098C41-4525-4044-AD82-B272B2B1D556.jpeg8070B169-278F-4F82-AEF7-8C666833925E.jpeg

Last edited:

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It is encouraging to see all of these new truck projects popping up. Looking at your headers, Tooth, I am wondering how the upper control arm didn't hit them? Hard to tell from the pic. And I don't have "skinnies" on the front so tire clearance when turned is another issue

I'd still prefer to be inside the frame, but that looks tougher yet.. So I am kinda on hold until after New Years. I have a couple of projects going so I am looking for an easy way to keep things rolling.

But I did revisit my rules:

1. It will get a W, maybe with 6 2 barrels (sticking with 2x4 for now)
2. It will have 3 pedals unless I trade off something (yes)
3. I don't want to move the engine forward (used POL mounts, it moved a little)
4. It might have p/s or not (jury still out)
5. It might never get painted, it's a relic or a farm truck (I don't have a farm). (Painted one door HOK yellow primer, may do whole truck)
6. I really need to use up some stuff I have around. (No $hit)
7. It's lowered enough for what I want, probably leave the suspension as-is. (yes)
8. I don't care if anyone else likes it. (Well maybe a little bit)

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave, yes it might be a little hard to tell in the pics but I did not have any interference with the A-Arms. I mocked it all up and check the travel up and down to make sure there would be no interference. You have to be patient and you have to be steadfast on a project like that. I like your last comment where you say you don't care if anybody else likes it, and think you will be surprised at how many people will like it. And I don't blame you if you don't want to paint it. Like mine it's just a farm truck or a shop truck! It's to enjoy and have fun, and sometimes it's harder to enjoy when you're worried about things getting dinged and scratched. Good luck and keep us updated with pics!

Clint

Well Known Member
So here is the yellow epoxy primer for comment...

I would have left the "patina" look except there are a few "new" panels and bodywork, etc. So I tried this, knowing if I didn't like it, I can scuff it up and paint (ugh) over it. View attachment 89888
Spray some red oxide primer on it shoot some base color on it do some sanding to make your own patina and shoot it with satin clear.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds like work!

I realize many of you guys are really good at body & paint work, and I admire the result. It's not something I enjoy any more.

I have a couple of shiny cars and I almost hate to drive them because of all of the unlicensed/uninsured/distracted/stoned POS out there.

The body/paint guy next door wants me to do a SBC for him and work out a barter of some kind. So it may get some attention.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Here's an update, hopefully pics to follow:

And, I did revisit my rules:

1. It will get a W, maybe with 6 2 barrels (sticking with 2x4 for now)
2. It will have 3 pedals unless I trade off something (yes and everything works with some z-bar and pivot mods)
3. I don't want to move the engine forward (ended up with CPP big block mounts for several reasons, move engine 1-1/2" forward)
4. It might have p/s or not (looks like it will work out)
5. It might never get painted, it's a relic or a farm truck (I don't have a farm). (Painted one door HOK yellow primer, am going to do whole truck)
6. I really need to use up some stuff I have around. (No $hit but making progress)
7. It's lowered enough for what I want, probably leave the suspension as-is. (yes)
8. I don't care if anyone else likes it. (People seem to like it?? Not sure why)

Bailed out on the headers for now as too time-consuming. A set of SC 925/926 repop manifolds worked out beautifully with no issues yet. Other items so far were clutch z-bar pivot, firewall sheet metal work, move crossmember, getting shifter away from seat, getting glass and interior assembled, etc.

Now to finalize plumbing, electrical and driveshaft!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave,Have you considered modifing the steering coloum for electric assist? There are kits made for about 600 bucks that make this possible.No P/S pumps,brackets,lines,brackets,or bulky p/s boxes required.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Don, I really like the electric setups I have seen, but the truck came with a P/S box and i have installed the type 2 pump already, so all i have to do is locate the reservoir and make the lines.

This was supposed to be a low-effort project but it's starting to be a bit more than that!