Feds actions may force you to use ethanol in your W engine.

bschulze

Well Known Member
If you believe the government is mistaken in forcing all gas to be ethanol blended than please comment against this EPA proposal. Lawn mowers, chain saws, old cars and tractors will be harmfully effected. Fight this government overreach.

Visit: http://www.regulations.gov

Type in Docket ID No. : EPA-HQ-OAR-2016-0041

Then write your comments.

Here are mine: Please do not force the addition of alcohol to ALL gasoline sold in the US. I have several vehicles and other power equipment that alcohol blended gasoline will cause harmful effects. I have learned the hard way that this is a fact and is not conjecture.
Please keep non-alcohol gasoline available.

Thank you,
Robert Schulze
12800 240 Street
Council
Bluffs, IA 51503
402-332-8189

409envy

Well Known Member
I can't get regular gas here in CT unless its race fuel. I think any more than ten percent is bad for engines designed to run on normal gas. That being said I am making preparations to run my 409 on alcohol if push comes to shove. Using ethanol resistant fuel line and viton seals in my carbs. Its just a fact of life. Hopefully the new boss in Washington puts us on the right track... I did read that there are still going to be exceptions for race fuel so you should still be able to get that without ethanol added. Hopefully congress will pass the RPM (https://www.sema.org/rpm-bill-summary) act after the inauguration and keep the Green Nazis from gutting our hobby even more.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We only have ethanol fuel here too (emissions regulations) and I can tell you guys that it sucks. Hard starting, poor economy and it evaporates quickly! If my car sits for more than a week the carbs are dry. Non ethanol fuel didn't do that

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Same here, Jason. :dohIf I don't start my 09 periodically, the gas Does evaporate, and I have to use Starting Fluid, to get it going.:bat

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
here in central NY 91 octane non ethanol is available at many locations. I read an article on ethanol not long ago and it said by the time you plow a field, plant and fertilize the crop, then harvest crop and truck to refining plant, you have already spent more money in fuel than you get from corn and it has yet to go through the refining process. then everyone in the chain makes federal money and the taxpayers pay in reality twice for every gallon used.
the old miller brewery here in fulton ny is where Sunoco ethanol is made.the first company that did the plant conversion had some major engineering problems and the plant failed, all the while they scammed the government in grants, then Sunoco bought the debacle for pennies on the dollar and got it straightened out I have heard production there is around 80 million gallons per year.

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
There are only two "local" gas stations where I can get non-ethanol gasoline, but I have to drive either all the way across Allentown, PA or out to north of Reading, PA. After finding a white powder-like sediment in my carburetor bowls that I can only attribute to ethanol, I decided to try to never run ethanol in my newly rebuilt carbs.

bobs409

Administrator
Do these places that sell non ethenol charge more per gallon for it? I thought I heard that but that wouldn't make sense?? :scratch

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
They charge more for it down here,due to low production volume[at least that's their excuse]. :bang

chuckl

Well Known Member
In NW Florida, the price for non-ethanol 91 octane is from 50 cents to 60 cents per gallon more than ethanol 87 and is more costly than ethanol 93 It is a ripoff. :mad3 :mad3

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You mean white powder like :gaahthis!

Ran just a few tankfuls of 93 octane ethanol in my 63 many years ago; haven't ran ethanol since. Kept picture as a reminder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 28

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I'm telling you guys, use Gibbs Carb Defender. Have not had these problems since I began using it. No yellow junk in the carbs and no corrosion of alum parts. Just my 2 cents.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

bobs409

Administrator
They charge more for it down here,due to low production volume[at least that's their excuse]. :bang

That's BS at least here in PA. Supposedly they put the ethenol in right at the station when they fill the tanks. Anyway to rip us off!!! :angry

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
That looks like the powder I found. Funny thing is that I've never seen this powder in carbs that haven't been run for at least 20 years.

I paid $18.00 for 5.5 gallons of 87 octane ethanol-free gas in August.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
non ethanol 91 octane is .40c more than ethanol 93 octane here, always stays the same .40c split from when it is 2.00 per gallon to a couple of years back at 4.00 per gallon. i use non ethanol in everything i own, my 09 z71 Silverado picks up 1 1/2 mpg on pure gas compared to ethanol, and my 04 buick lesabre beater car pick up about 2 mpg. so it is about a wash with the mileage increase per added .40c per gallon.