Felt like doing a little shopping...

bobs409

Administrator
Had an urge to buy some big boy toys so I bought 2 tools I've been considering for a while. Damn you tube video's! :angry

Mag Drill (Steel Dragon brand) and The Evolution brand Cold cut carbide metal chop saw. After looking at numerous reviews and weighing price vs features for far too long :wacko, I've settled on these two. Prices on these kind of tools can go WAY out beyond my budget into the thousands each, these ones are moderately priced.

Got the chop saw for $384.00 w/free shipping and the mag drill that includes 6 annular cutters for $429.99 w/free shipping. One thing that got me to buy now is before all this "Fair tax" BS kicks in!! (some states already have it) Soon, everything you buy no matter what state the seller is in, you'll pay sales TAX! I'd hate to pay taxes on these kind of tools! Our government is so out of control... Ok, I'll save that for the political forum.

Anyone else here own these fun toys? (same or different brand)

mag.jpgsaw.jpg

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We have a mag drill at work and it makes quick work of drilling holes. Unfortunately being it is a shared tool it will work good one time and the next time you need it you get to find out the last person using it didn’t believe in oiling the bit during cutting so the bit is now destroyed

bobs409

Administrator
Well today I drilled a hole. :happy

Got the new mag drill and it seems to work good. I did have to loosen and adjust the gibs a bit, was very hard to crank down/up especially at the end of it's travel but adjustable gibs is a good sign for quality. I hear low cost ones don't always have it.

The odd thing is it doesn't have an owners manual. I figured out most of it but would be nice to verify. It also had no allen keys for changing the bits and no extra brushes. I only mention these last two because tools from over seas always seem to have them. I have about 33 sets of brushes from Harbor Freight purchases over the years. :D Not a big deal, just mentioning.

Cutters seem to be high quality and the one I used ran true. Magnet is strong as is the motor. Did not get hot or smoke at all. I drilled a 3/4 hole in 3/8" steel and it had no trouble but that's not much for a tool like this.

Saw comes Monday so I'll report back on that.

bobs409

Administrator
I did a little more shopping too. :D

One other item I just had to have is the 2 x 4 welding table:

https://weldtables.com/collections/...ng-table-top-kit-certiflat-by-tab-slot-u-weld

pro-table-kit-2-x4-heavy-duty-welding-table-top-kit-certiflat-by-tab-slot-u-weld-1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Tax free and free shipping. $293.99 This is just the top as shown, I will be building the rest of the table myself from 2" square tube. Then I can build all kinds of useful jigs to go into those pretty laser cut holes! :laugh4

I guess I should hide my debit card for a while.

bobs409

Administrator
I got the chop saw yesterday but was way too tired to even test it! (9 hours of working on my truck seems to wear me down a little) :yawn I will say one thing, IT'S HEAVY! 61 pounds! I'm going to make a cart or something, not going to be carrying this around much.

So today, a little while ago I got to cut a few pieces with it. It's quite impressive! It's ready to use right from the box (I double checked the blade bolt) Fence is dead on 90 degree's out of the box however... last night I was watching a video on this saw a guy did to "nit pick" anything he could find. His was cutting out of plumb (blade coming down at an angle) and he showed an easy fix. The first thing I did with mine was check that and sure enough, mine is out of plumb too! I'll be correcting this using his method of using feeler gauges for shims. There are no other ways to adjust this. His video is from Dec '16 so this problem has been around for a while. Otherwise, NO COMPAINTS!!! I didn't cut anything extreme. I cut a piece of 3/4 cold rolled round steel and made 3 cuts in 2 x 1/4" thick steel flat bar. I doubled 2 of these up so it was cutting thru 1/2" thick material and went right thru! Pieces were not even warm. It's a powerhouse! I will only be using it outside because while it does have a chip tray, it's flings metal cuttings everywhere. (found one on the back of my neck!!!) :D I'm only 4 cuts in but so far, very happy! It has a 3 year warranty but I would have to pay shipping if needing to send back! (not cool)

I just located the video I mentioned and have it set to that plumb adjustment part here: (feel free to watch from the beginning if you want)

bobs409

Administrator
I just whipped up a Weldon style arbor for my new. H.F. drill chuck to use on the mag drill. The cheapest I could find was $34.99 for a chuck with arbor! I bought a Jacobs chuck from H.F. and made my own arbor for free. Cost was $7.19 plus tax. :D

Was fun single pointing the 1/2-20 threads on the lathe, haven't done that in a while. (a pain setting up the gears though) I didn't want to just use a threading die as I wanted concentricity in the part. This thing spins with no noticeable run out! Very happy with it.

DSCN2724.JPG

bobs409

Administrator
The newest toy arrived a few days ago. Finally got it welded up and made the base for it. They sell an optional base but I made mine for a lot less $$$.

I was very careful when welding the top, making sure it was pulled down flat to the under side slats and checked often with a straight edge during welding so it would stay perfectly flat. (they have video's on the procedure)

The base I made from 1-1/2 square 14 gauge steel tube just like their kit has. I opted to use larger pneumatic tires so I could easily roll it around my yard and it works perfectly! Goes right thru crushed stone with ease. I made it 40 inches tall which matches the height of the kit they sell. I wouldn't want it any higher. I think it will work out good at this height but if not, I can always shorten it! :D

I have some expanded metal for the lower shelf yet to go on. I'll be customizing this quite a bit and once done, will paint everything but the top. Will keep that oiled or WD40 or PAM or ??. Lots of neato jigs to make for the top yet. I am thinking of adding an extra "leave" that flips up making this 3 x 4. As it is now, it will fit nicely in the corner of my garage. I already bought the 16mm annular cutter for the job! (can't laser cut them like the others) Will probably get a rack for my grinders and possibly put the metal chop saw on the bottom. (maybe)

DSCN2735.jpgDSCN2738.jpgDSCN2740.jpgDSCN2741.jpgDSCN2742.jpg
DSCN2743.jpg
DSCN2744.jpg

Last edited: