Fiberglass Hoods

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone know who sells/builds a fiberglass hood with a cowl-induction on it for the 62 Imps ?

I know that VFN Fiberglass has good quality stuff and now has front end but I heard that a relative of his makes the hood I`m looking for.
VFN Fiberglass

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Fiberglass hood

dq,I've got a fiberglass front end from VFN on my 57 and they do good work.I looked at there catalog and I think there the only one's that will install a scoop on a hood you buy from them.I installed my own scoop and its alot of work.If I had to do it over I'd have them do it.

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Glasstech makes really good stuff too. Rugged, laid up very clean and not a lot for the body person to do. I don't have the contact info here, but can get it if you're interested.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
TM,, That would be great. I can`t find them on the web ,,,,, dq

BTW there is one other company Showcars Fiberglass (don`t think they are related, hope not anyway) that will add any scoop for $150 and I think that includes the scoop. Just haven`t heard about their quality, but their hood is a pin on.
I have heard that VFN has excellent quality stuffand for $110 they will install the scoop and have hinged hoods,,,,,

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Glasstek

I just put a 4 inch glasstek hood on my 62. I have some pictures and will try to post them for you. Seems to be a nice hood. A little work to make it straight but everything needs work if it is fiberglass. Just type Glasstek in your search engine.I will look for the number. :cheers

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Showcars glass hood.

I don't know where or what kind of hood it was but I am sure Iv'e heard bad things about Showcars glass.
:(

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Showcars fiberglass parts... When a similar question came up a few years ago somebody posted that they took a long time to send the part.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Geezzz,,,, Maybe they are related !!!

I found the Glasstek hoods !
MRHP,,,, did you use the bolton or pin hood? How high is your cowl scoop?
PICTURES?

I have feedback on VFN parts and they all say the quality is great.

The Glasstek hood is $180 cheaper,,,, Thanks,,dq

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
DQ-

http://www.glasstek.com/

I spelled it wrong in the post. There was a little wiggle in the detail line on my cowl, but otherwise it was good. A whole front end and doors for a Camaro just arrived in the shop and it was very clean and strong. Light too.

Michael

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
DQ-

Unless you really like the look or need the space for an air cleaner on a hi-rise manifold, stick with the 4" high cowl. This is a picture of the 6" on mine. It's cosmetically too hunky for my tastes and can be a little troublesome to see around.

Attachments

• cowl 3.jpg
    cowl 3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 210

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And ... I have not seen a successful stock hinge mount on a fiberglass hood. Not to say it can't be done, but once it cracks, it can be a problem. You can be real careful opening and closing, but if it gets caught by the wind for instance, hmmmm ... don't know about that. Might talk to Glasstek about it or maybe someone here has had some luck. But if it does not look promising and you don't want to Dzus it on you can use those hydraulic hood/trunk lifts. It's the huge stock spring with the stop detents that strains the fiberglass when lifting. Use a weaker spring maybe since the hood is lighter?

Just looked at the VFN site. Pretty good and they seem very aware of what's needed to use the stock hinges. If I go to a glass front end they'll get my serious attention.

bbqcruising

Supporting Member 1
DQ, I bought a Glasstek 1 1/2 cowl hood from Dennis Mc Clendon. It has all the mounts the stock hood has including front lip molding. Have not put it on car yet but it look's good. You have to put the small springs on the hinges. BBQ

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Glasstek Fiberglass

DQ,
We have a Glasstek bolt on flat hood on the bubbletop, it is beautiful!!! I would happily recommend them to anyone. It was almost paint ready out of the box! We have the hood mounted with stock hinges and latch, it has stayed put at 133+ mph. Carl got a set of stock looking, low tension springs designed for a fiberglass hood, which holds the hood open, but I wouldn't trust them exclusively, we also brace them open. I think the springs came from Harwood.
Steven

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
DQ my hood is a 4 inch and I should have a picture or two tomorrow. When I ordered the hood I also ordered the low tension springs from glasstek. pictures soon! :cheers

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
glasstek!

Hey DQ, As the other getleman have pointed out glasstek is the way to go. I have had at least 5 of their hoods and they are far superior to any of the other stuff your looking at. VFN stuff is okay but a distant second as far as quality and the shape of the cowl. Glasstek has always included the low tension hood springs with their bolt on hoods and thats a nice bonus! Eric

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey ,,,Thanks on the advice !!
Now I have to decide if I want a hood or new 15X10 ET`s for the slicks.
Can`t afford both so it`s bang the head time !! :bang

bobs409

Administrator
It's nice to see im not the only one on a budget. :D

Gas just hit $1.75 here for the cheap stuff so pretty soon it's gonna be, "Do I want to buy that part for my car or put gas in it?" :mad: