Finally getting to build a 348 Stroker

GaryO

My last restoration was a 1959 El Camino with an original 283 in it. I wanted to put a 348 into it at some point so I started collecting 348 parts at swap meets, ebay and craigslist whenever I found a good price. On a whim I listed the El Camino on Ebay before building the 348 and someone in the UK met my reserve so I sold the car. So then I had an engine to build and no car.
Then 4 months ago I found my next vehicle project, a 1953 Anglia/Thames Panel. This is going to be a vintage 60's drag build. I had the 348 block checked/cleaned and bored 60 over. The heads I found were already rebuilt with the intake enlarged to 2.19 and 7/16 threaded rocker studs in place and ported/polished. The intake is an Offenhauser 6x2 with Holley 94's on it.
I am sure I will have questions as I go forward on this project since I have never built a 348.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:welcome2 Gary.You are aware that with a 4 in.stroke crank you're looking at 440 cu.inch's.right?What are the casting numbers on your heads?If 690 0r 583,your offy intake won't fit.

GaryO

The heads are 3732791's, I was quite surprised when I found them locally and the intake on them was pushed out to the 2.19. The guy that sold them to me picked them up in an estate sale years ago and just needed garage space. Only paid 350.00 for the pair.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1233.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 58

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Welcome to the site....... I love the car and the thought that you’re going to put a stroked W in it .........happy building..........!!!!!!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I didn’t catch it when I first looked at the photos but then I noticed......:crazy..... I have never seen a set of heads that had the middle divider removed from In between 2 neighboring intake valve runners........ won’t that cause issues with flow......:rub.......Sorry if I’m stupid but wouldn’t the larger cavity slow the fuel down because it’s the opposite of a Venturi....... sorry in advance ......

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not if the custom single intake runner is wider than that. Not to mention it doesn't apply to engines running 9000rpm. :D I'm more worried about the lack of water jacket heads on a stroker. They were bad enough heads as it were but then to make the bottom end a performance piece would be problematic right? Wouldn't a set of 379's be better?