Finally out of the garage after 8 years

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well I pulled her out and she's out to get the rollcage installed.A little history, I purchased this car in 1989 the summer of my junior year in High School. Rode my bicycle to school for the first month of my senior year while I put a junkyard engine in it.The following spring I put a $500.00 paint job on it which is still there looks good in pics just don't get too close.Took the body off of the frame and had all chassis parts sand blasted and I painted with por 15 in 1992.Well I went to super chevy the summer of 1992 and Bill Burge was there with his pro stock rolling chassis (pictured) and a blue and chrome 409 sitting in the back of his trailer and that is where my 409 bug started. In 1994 I purchased a block and crank from Scott Cornwell he did have a 1963 z11 then he was restoring, I got to hold one of the bumpers which was pretty cool for one of us 409 nuts.The rest of my parts came from Ch enterprise he was very helpful to me.Built my 474 stroker in 1994 at the age of 21 and put the body back on the frame without doing the full restoration I wanted to do. Then proceeded to go through 5 of what I now regret original posi rearends before switching to a 9" in 1998.In June of 2003 I was just ready to pull into to heat up my tires when I dropped a valve and seized the engine, luckily I wasn't going down the track or I would have grenaded it. Engine was save bored to .048 and sitting in my living room waiting for the car to return now.I did find a place it is called church fabrication in Hartville,Ohio and they do great work and very reasonable, Car will be certified for 8.50's in the quarter ( won't be that fast though). I will post pics of the cage when I get the car back in week or so.Going to Thompson 2 years ago really got my blood flowing again unfortunately I have too many projects so It's taken longer than I thought to get in gear.Hopefully god willing I will have it at Thompson.Another highlight was the first time to the track with the 09 I got to race and talk with Arlan Vanke he was driving a ramcharger and spanked me at the time I was turning low 12's and he was running 10.50 index.There were some other big names there from the 60"s also they all showed interest in my car as it was the only 09 there, I wish I new the names of the other guys.

Attachments

• 000_0625.jpg
    000_0625.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 92
  • cars 005.jpg
    cars 005.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 99
  • impala1.jpg
    impala1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 91
  • impala.jpg
    impala.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 78
  • cars007.jpg
    cars007.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 150

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Cool story.

i can see a "certifiable" 8.50 cage. (like i did on mine) ............BUT, to actually get it certified may be a MAJOR WASTE of money unless you intend to dial in quicker than 10.0 on a regular basis.
it's incredible all the stuff you need to purchase and have certs for every 2 years just to go 9.99.
the money races are 10.0 index in the 1/4
6.50 index in the 1/8th
or dial in whatever.

besides, if you are out there running 10.0s all the time like i do, and do it in a safe manner........they will turn a blind eye to the occaisional "dip" into the 9.80s

if you find the car capable of going 9.50s or better.........then it may be affordable.

PS: it took me 45 years to get my "dream car come true"

rock on with it man.

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you for sharing your story!
It does'nt matter how long it takes to reach your goals.

Best of luck with it.

Mike

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Livin the dream..............................:clap:clap:clap:clap Cool history,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:beerbang and........the way it looks you are only 38 years old..............just think of the stories you will have by the time you are as old a these guys on this board...........:roll:roll:dunno:cool:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
That's what it's all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Except maybe for the occassional beer and a little lovin'!!!!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll:roll

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian ,best of luck with the car,Congradulations on getting it together,what a great story!!! John
:beerbang :beerbang