Firewall Markings

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
IMG_2302.jpg Enclosed is several photos of my 1960 Impala firewall markings after I have torn the car apart. I have done a good bit of research through this forum and CT and found out what several mean. The 1837 means 2 door sport coupe and the red after it means the dash is painted red. EZI means tinted glass but what does the X1 mean? It is listed on my cowl tag as ACC. Also I have found out that the last 2 digits of the trim and paint were put on the drivers side probably over the primer and under the paint. I can see the 73 very good and believe I see the 36 for Ermine White. But there is something else closer to the edge of the cowl. Also don't know what the 032 means written on the side of the passenger cowl? There is something written beside the heater box and just can't make it out. Then there is a W written in the center of the cowl. I didn't include a picture of the 083 written in red on the side of the drivers cowl hidden by the fender because I found that out. It must of been a sequence number as my car was the 93,083 car made at the Atlanta plant in 1960. Also what do you use to put these markings back after paint? Grease pencils and or crayons?

Also just got my car off the frame and did one cleaning on the frame and found the stripes on the springs from the factory. Will there be any more marking that I should look for before disassembling the frame? Thanks for any help.

Brandon 348/320

Attachments

• IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2306.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2308.JPG
    IMG_2308.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 84

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Congratulations for being interested enough to want to perserve those markings. Save those photos because there are still lots of non beleivers when it comes to them. Originally those markings were put on prior to the body being painted. They told the workers what needed to be done to the body to occomadate the options were would later be applied to it. I can't tell you what each one of them means, you've already figured out what so of them meant. The 1837 told the workers that it was going to be an Impala and should have holes for the Impala trim. There is usually a trim code that would let them know what color interior was to be installed. I've owned several '61 4 speed cars, they all had the X-1 but I can't say if there is a connection to the 4 speed or not. Back to when they were put on the body, in those days the factory used laquer paint, the marking were made with something simialar to a grease pencil and it would bleed through the paint. If you remove the paint down to the bare metal you will most likely find it is actually etched into the metal. With the paints that we have now you will not get the bleed through so I paint the firewall and then put the markings on with a paint stick that you can buy at your local hardware store. Be sure to use the original colors, most likely you will only need a yellow and a white stick and in your case a black or charcoal one becasue your firewall was white. You will also notice that the marking were usually confined to one side of the firewall, somtimes there will be marking on both sides and when there are they are uaually of different colors. From this you can tell which side of the body the worker was stranding and by thinking about where the markings are located you can figure out if the guy was left or right handed.....I know, a little anal but hey, you get that way!!!
As for the frame, you might find the VIN scribled in the frame beside the right muffler, it will probably be upside down. Also, clean those front spindles with a mild cleaner and a tooth brush, there were usually several paint dabs (pink & green) on the vertical part of the spindle. On the rear end housing, again clean lightly becasue there were all kinds of markings on the third member, usually you will find a yellow or white strip around the left axle housing. Look closely at the left rear brake drum and the end of the axle for markings. Hope this helps

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just finished painting a 63 firewall and took pictures of it before and plan on putting the markings back on.Is the paint stick you use a crayon type marker and about the markings on the spindles and rear axle and doesn't the steering have markings.Is there a source where i can get the info as to what color and where the markings are located?

bobs409

Administrator
Is it possible that some cars has no firewall markings?? I never saw any on my 63. Keep in mind, it was a plain Jane, not even a radio.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I just finished painting a 63 firewall and took pictures of it before and plan on putting the markings back on.Is the paint stick you use a crayon type marker and about the markings on the spindles and rear axle and doesn't the steering have markings.Is there a source where i can get the info as to what color and where the markings are located?

4 speedman........Yes, the sticks that use are like a crayon but they are called paint sticks. And, yes there are markings all over the car, I just called out a few. I don't know of any source for this information because I'm not sure that each plant didn't have their own system. We know that each plant used their own set of codes so I would assume the same for paint dabs.

Bob.....could be but I've never seen an original car that didn't have some markings, even if there were no options they would normally write the code for the interior color on the firewall. Is your firewall body color or black?

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
X1 = tinted windshield. There's even a clue to that because the firewall markings say EZI X1. Cars with the code X4 is EZI glass all windows. This is an exclusive Atlanta code for tinted glass used up until at least 62.

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for all of the input on this topic. Cleaned my front end of the frame up this afternoon and found several dabs of paint on the steering components. They were blue and white. Even saw an orange dab on the passenger hub. Pressure washed along the back and have found a blue and green streak on the 3rd member. Will have to spray a lot more degreaser and use a toothbrush to get the back looking as clean as the front.

The car is a 4 speed car. So do ya'll think the x1 means 4 speed or the tinted glass code that was for the Atlanta factory? Does any one know what the P and or the 132 mean on the passenger side? What about the W? I still can't make out what was written by the heater box. When you clean it, the marks want to come off so trying to figure them out before getting the car blasted. Thanks again for the responses.

Brandon 348/320

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe the W has something to do with the wipers/ washers since its in the same area as the wiper motor.? It looks like the markings are in pretty good condition too!

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The W might mean something about the wipers/washers. I never thought about that. It does have the factory 2 speed wipers with windshield washer accessory. I bet you are right. Thanks.