Firewall pad

moes409

Well Known Member
Trying to complete the final touches on my 62 and ran into a snag with the firewall pad::grumble: I purchased a two piece pad that looks good laying there on the floor. But, I have not been able to figure out how to install it around the curves at the wiper motor. Maybe steam? Hopefully someone can enlighten me.
This is my first post so please be gentle.:)

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I purchased a new 62 pad from Ecklers for $45. I did not like the pad and returned it.
It was flat and the rubber edge was too wide to match the factory firewall pad rubber edge.
A few years ago I purchased a quality pad for about $75 that was shaped to fit around the wiper bulge. They stopped making this pad(from TNN).

Just recently I saw a new pad for sale for about $70+ that from what I understand is shaped correctly.

I suggest checking into that pad because I think it will fit. I e-mailed the seller for brand that makes the better quality pad(I don't remember who is making the pad.) He assured me that they fit. I have not purchased one yet, but will very soon for my 62 SS HT 409 stroker restoration.

Paul Stensland
Iowa

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have always bought and suggested Phil Reed, who made them for you Phil?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
They were from T&N....but they have backordered them for over 2 years now!!!:beerbang :beerbang

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Missing piece?

This was the one piece I was unable to get when I restored my '62 two years ago! Phil tried to get one, but said they were unavailable. I needed something to cover the top of the carpet (is this the piece you speak of?) so I made one out of thick cardboard just to have something on the edge. Not the best work, but I'm the only judge that will be allowed to look under there :).

Let me know if you do find a source, I'd like to complete my restoration if at all possible.

Enjoy!

TomK

moes409

Well Known Member
I will call around tomorrow and see what I can find. Looked online and those with photos were all the same as the one I won't use. Why do they sell this stuff.:mad:

WSSmolick

Well Known Member
I purchased the supposed OEM version (more expensive) from ShowCars for my '58 and it's not like the original. First of all, the original padding was an inch thick; the padding on the new is the thin stuff made of recycled material. Secondly, it isn't shaped around the steering column area.

moes409

Well Known Member
Thanks to all for your input. :clap The pad on ebay is made by repops and is flatter than a flitter.:cuss I know because it is the same brand that I bought for the same price last year on ebay. :cuss :cuss Cars don't show one, SC say the formed pads are and have been on B/O forever and don't know when they may become available.:rolleyes:

For now, I will play with the junk I have and try to make due.:eek: If I figure a way to get it done that looks good, I will pass it on. :deal

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here we have an upholstery shop that does some amazing work. I have seen him work that cardboard like what is used on the firewall pad to fit most any appliction. I don't know why you couldn't find someone in you area to do the same. Just a suggestion. Good Luck...:dunno