Firewall seal

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
So I'm putting the steering column back together and want to include a new rubber gasket for the firewall, where the steering column (and the clutch linkage) pass through. I also have that brittle plastic piece that goes on the inside just about the carpet, behind the pedals:

1962 Biscayne new rubber1.jpg
So upon removing the original rubber boot from the firewall and comparing that to the new piece we see that:

1962 Biscayne new rubber2.jpg

Note the old piece (on the right) is quite wallowed out where the steering column goes, and has that small circular metal piece with a felt "washer" that the clutch linkage passes through. In the new one on the left we see all rubber and no felt piece.

How does the replacement piece function in terms of sealing and in terms of longevity?

Cheers!
TomK

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Just did this on my 62 and couldn't re-use the felt rod seal. I don't see any problems yet. In fact, I think GM discontinued the felt seal sometime in 62.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have been reusing the original metal plate with the original seal or buying a new one from Show Cars to slide inside the plate.
See the picture of my 62 Red Hardtop attached -I can get better pictures if need. The plate and seal go right over the soft seal column seal and fits factory screw holes in the firewall that - its uses some of the same screw holes in the firewall that the steering column seal uses

Show cars sells the metal plate seal under 61 Chevy for clutch and transmission items. It was used by the factory on 61 and 62's
Its part SC # 5640 its black and I think they were zinc plated.
https://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=5640
Paul
DSCN0195.JPG

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom... Maybe this will help... Here is a picture of the original one I took of my ‘61 parts car for reference... E48495C8-86F0-4128-8986-92AC4E3D1DEC.jpeg