First Concert 50 Years Ago

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
40,000 people Wadena Iowa. The end of July. I've posted this before. U-tube has some videos. Around 3-4 AM Sunday morning Little Richard came on.

Here's a list of performers.

Hot Tuna
Johnny Winters
Mason Proffit
Poco
The Flying Burrito Brothers
Chicken Shack
Joan Baez
Leon Russell
Terry Reid
The Chambers Brothers
Albert King
The Everly Brothers
Luther Allison
REO Speedwagon
The Sons of Champlin
Buffy Saint Marie
Rotary Connection

Slept right in front of stage...what a party...TIME FLIESIMG_20200829_145438536.jpgIMG_20200829_145422738.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
40,000 people Wadena Iowa. The end of July. I've posted this before. U-tube has some videos. Around 3-4 AM Sunday morning Little Richard came on.

Here's a list of performers.

Hot Tuna
Johnny Winters
Mason Proffit
Poco
The Flying Burrito Brothers
Chicken Shack
Joan Baez
Leon Russell
Terry Reid
The Chambers Brothers
Albert King
The Everly Brothers
Luther Allison
REO Speedwagon
The Sons of Champlin
Buffy Saint Marie
Rotary Connection

Slept right in front of stage...what a party...TIME FLIESView attachment 86026View attachment 86027
Smoke any of that funny stuff!!!:confused

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Smoke any of that funny stuff!!!:confused
Why else would you go :crazy

We carried a huge cooler of beer well over a mile. You could smell the weed burning the whole way. Plenty of weed and other stuff they were selling like popcorn. I was amazed but didn't partake. Back home 4 of us guys shared an apartment. The one dude ended up in the drug tent at the festival. We knew how he operated but he had a great sterio setup and bought new albums all the time, so live and let live. People swimming naked in the creek....good time to be young. Never smoked any weed until around 1975. Not my bag I guess.:winner

Last edited:

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
First concert/car show for me was 52 yrs ago The Grassroots played second show 50 yrs ago CCR Tower of power and Tony Jo White in 65 I wanted to see The Beatles but my folks said no they were disgusting tickets were $5.00

Last edited:

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Been by that farm where it was held many times Dave. It was on one of the rural routes I oversaw. Daughter of the owner lived in Arlington a couple blocks away from me. She now lives in Manchester. I wanted to go, but worked in a Phillips 66 and no way was it possible to get off work. Heard a lot of stories like you mentioned.

Fuzz

MAGA

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Back in 74 or 75, I took my wife, to see Jackson Browne. :appl It was at our local concert house. (SPAC) Saratoga Performing Arts Center. When we got there, my wife was perplexed, because our seats were right in front of the railing, on the second floor.:hide She was petrified of height. I assured her, she'd be OK, if she stayed in her seat.:clapAs soon as the lights went out, and the music started, two college kids behind us, fired up a couple joints, and the smoke was all around us. All of a sudden, my wife stands up, and runs towards the railing, and starts cheering, singing aloud and pumping her fist, to the sky. :laugh2 She was blasted.:rollI finally got her to calm down, and enjoy the concert.:clap Her new friends behind us, kept blowing smoke at us. I was pretty woosey myself.:wacko After about two hours, it was time to leave. We sat in my Chevy, for about 15 or 20 minutes, to give my head, a chance to clear itself. At the same time, my wife was chattering stuff to me.:doh I don't think, half of it even made any sense.:rollGetting out of there took awhile. We had to go pass the Saratoga Police, on the way out. :rolleyesWe tried to look normal.:laugh4 After we finally made it, to the Interstate, it was clear sailing. Rte. 9 had quite a bit of traffic. Everyone was doing the speed limit, because Radar was every where.:thumbdown After following a slowpoke for about 30 minutes, my wife grabs the steering wheel, and yanks it, to the passing lane, and takes her left foot over my console, and jams her foot on my gas pedal foot, and says pass these ASSHOLES.:eek3Within seconds were doing 80 MPH.:scared2Holy Shit. All I could think of was getting pulled over, being stoned, and getting a speeding ticket and having our names in the newspaper, for all our relative's to read.:eek1I finally got her foot back on her side, and pulled over. My heart was pumping like crazy. After a little while, we started laughing, and finally made it home. :applWhen we went in the house, my Mom says, hi kids, did you have a good time?:clap Yes Mom, it was really good. What's wrong, with your eye's? Oh, everybody was smoking around us. It was terrible.:doh:roll