First Time Out !!!!

JimKwiatkowski said:
Aubrey,tell me you were young,dumb and full of cum to sell a 61 chevy 409 that would pull front wheels at a street light :dunno

Not that young, Jim.... 31 in 1991 to be exact :( .
Usual story.... needed money. Had just setup my 62 Belair ( not the one I have now ). Let it go with a stock 68 327 and Saginaw 4 speed.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
JimKwiatkowski said:
dq, Go without air cleaners and scoop and you will be in the 12's ( did you run with air cleaners at the test & tune)?

Not only air cleaners but MUFFLERS !!!

dq, take your best ET you run in practice runs and add 2/100 of a second.If run a 13.00 best ET dial in at 12.98.

dq,practice on your reaction times thats were you win races in bracket racing (what are your reaction times) :D

.107 ,,,, .098

Thanks guys for all the encouragement !!

I`ll be doing some thinking and tinkering this week and see what I can do !!

On the hood scoop,,, it was recommended that I go with a "Detroit News " Scoop !!!:D heeee heeee

Yes,,,even us west coaster know about them ,,,,,

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Reaction times

dq,looks like you need to practice on your reaction times. :)

Try launching on the third yellow that should help out :D

You need .520's or .5'teen's to be competitive :D

I know your just sorting your car out now for your best ET. But I'm just suggesting you practice on your reaction times to win some races I hope you don't mind :dunno

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim, our track counts from .000 so .096 is not that bad even considering tires were spinning.
Some tracks start at .500 like the ones you are talking about.
A perfect light here is .000 I believe,,,

I`ll try a few things this weekend and one will be staging deeper and less tire pressure.
Might have to get rid of these DOT`s and go with a good sticky Goodyear.

BTW,,, here`s my new scoop !!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no,, I`m not kidding !!!
57548905.jpg

Special Delivery !!!!

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Scoops, etc.

DQ,
That scoop will look perfect, nostalgic. Ever see Dyno Don's on his '61? Was basically the same. We run a reproduction of an early F*** F-600 heavy truck scoop, the ones that were reverse mounted on the pass. side. They sit perfectly on the hood ribs of the '62, and fit the lines. As far as R.T.s, around here, the LED systems are all .000 perfect, the small tracks still use .500, and the incandescent bulbs.
Steven

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Steve,,, I needed that.

Bob , not to worry,,,I throw them out just after I`m done reading the articles!! :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Got the holes cut in the hood and cut and formed the mail box tonite.
Doesn`t look too bad !!

I was tough to cut the hole ,,,,,, but I talked myself into doing it so it`s too late !! :eek:

Took a while to form the box and I`m sure glad that I saw a few of Jesse James`shows !

Watched how he formed and bent metal over a pipe and used that idea.
I took a flat bar and pinched the box to the work bench and pull/pried it up along the bar.

Didn`t turn out too bad doing it that way.

I`ll post a photo after it gets painted and mounted tomorrow.

Also had two 4" stacks make from stainless to go between the carbs and filters.
This will put the filters through the hood into the box.

Will most likely take off the front bumper and sway bar before Saturday.

Now if I only had a set of wheels that had a 41/2" back spacing I could lower the rear. ,,,dq