First year for Tilt Column

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Guys,
Couple of cryptic questions

What was the first year for a tilt column in an impala or full size body?

Did they come on both manual and auto models?

What years fit what others

Im thinking of going tilt column in the 61, have one out of Blast Boys 63 impala but not sure if it will fit etc

Steve

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I know the tilt was available in '64. I'm thinking '63 was the first year it was offered but could be wrong on that. I also think they are year specific and won't interchange without modification, Carmine.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Earliest I have seen is my 63 4 speed cars tilt, funny thing when I purchased that car I didn't even realize it had a tilt as I was mostly after that car because it was a factory 4 speed. I got an even bigger surprise when I realized it also had a p cased posi in it. Purchase price of 2k was well justified.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well if your not going to pay the extra money for the 4 speed over the 3 speed your surely not going to pay for a tilt wheel!!!!

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the replies guys,

So has anyone put a 63 tilt column into a 61 or 62 car?

61 is going to be a 5 speed tremec, 3.70:1 pozi

Steve

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well if your not going to pay the extra money for the 4 speed over the 3 speed your surely not going to pay for a tilt wheel!!!!

Boy, you never know what motivates people. Not to get too far away from the theme of this thread, my '64 SS came with factory air and power steering. I would think the a/c was about a $500.00 option and the ps about $150.00 plus the cost of the SS package. They spent the extra on that but wouldn't get the push buttons on the radio for another $17.00 I believe it was. Maybe they ran out of money or the factory sent the car out that way. Who knows, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
According to info from Ididit, the columns are the same-length etc/interchangeable. The difference is that 63-64 used some sort of alum dash plate that isn't used for 62 and down.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
According to info from Ididit, the columns are the same-length etc/interchangeable. The difference is that 63-64 used some sort of alum dash plate that isn't used for 62 and down.
Thanks Mike,
I will do some looking at both columns and see what i can find as being different
Maybe all the mounting holes will line up etc

Steve

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not to mention, the gear selector is on the column on 61-62, but in the instrument cluster in 63-64