Fishing

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Nate and Jeff talking about their old fishing poles for me to thinking. So I got my Grandpa's old cane pole out. Level wind reel, braided line, eyes and reel held on with black tape. Grandma's pole was a twin. When I was a kid grandpa would take me catfishing with him. Day 1, go seine bait, either chubs or crawfish, or go over to the chicken butchering place and get some blood days ahead. Take the blood back to the farm and put it on top of the shed on some tarpaper. He spread some tankage(some kind of hog feed) on it and some other stuff. He never did divulge the recipe. Than cover it up and let the sun dry it out. This cane pole worked out great to get out past the roIMG_20191123_115505862.jpgcky bank I was fishing today. Old school. Only caught one sucker today.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That’s a neat old pole Dave. I have heard of people making a blood bait like you mentioned and they said it was always the best thing for catching catfish! Here is a picture of what I started with. It wasn’t much pretty sure it was an old ice fishing pole but thought it was cool when grandpa gave it to me.836FB058-B34E-493C-AB63-375342640489.jpeg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That’s a neat old pole Dave. I have heard of people making a blood bait like you mentioned and they said it was always the best thing for catching catfish! Here is a picture of what I started with. It wasn’t much pretty sure it was an old ice fishing pole but thought it was cool when grandpa gave it to me.View attachment 76410

Is that the trusty 202 Zebco Nate.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is that the trusty 202 Zebco Nate.
Yes it is Dave! It needs a good cleaning and it should work like a champ again. Thanks 409 gang. The top box was a Christmas gift one year from the step dad I think I was around 10 when he made that. The lower one I found at a gun show. And the two cardboard boxes on the left have my Bob Walla heads sitting in them :winner

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The only way we cleaned a 202 was with what we called "the Zebco plunge"....dip it underwater....the drags still sucked.....then when I had a little more cash, I bought a 404. Then when I became well to do I went to a Zebco 33......:good

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It’s been so long since I used this one I seem to remember that it was having trouble casting. Might just be the line too. I used to have a couple of the old zebco reels and they always seemed to work good. When I got older I got my first abu Garcia ambassador bait casting reel and that one is still my all time favorite. I guess I do have a zebco 33 as well!72F9B151-09FD-48AF-BE70-C8D51B466AE0.jpeg8323F66A-5B1E-4584-B152-92B5EBB183D1.jpeg53EB2835-76D3-40A4-8BE5-F439CA9B264C.jpeg

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
The Garcia is a very good reel. My dad used them and I have them stored away. My favorite reel is a Phlueger President spinning reel. Use the President with either a Berkley Lightning Rod or Berkley Bionix. Poles are 25-30 years old. Love to fish.

Fuzz

MAGA

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ya I messed up on that picture I purposely try to make sure I don’t have my feet in any pictures to make sure I don’t feed into Phil’s foot fetish.
Fuzz I think I have one of those phlueger spinners on one of my rods. Pretty sure it’s on a scheels rod that I primarily used for walleye.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I would love to post pictures of the tackle box my father left me, full of antique wooden lures wooden bobbers and more modern stuff from the 50's and 60's that my father had gathered through the years. Unfortunately I had welfare neighbors when I lived in town and after a day of fishing I came home and sit my pole and my fathers tackle box on the front stoop. When I returned to the porch to retrieve the box it was gone. There were sneaker tracks clearly leading right to the back door of the dirt bag neighbors house from my front porch as it had been raining that day. I called the police and the officer told me that he would not be able to obtain a warrant to search the dirt bags house unless the item stolen was worth more than $500.00. I took matters in to my oun hands after the police left and confronted the neighbors father clearly the sneaker track was from a child. After the scum bag bag swore at me profusely he slammed the door in my face. Next day when I try to start my truck to go to work my reliable truck would not start. I drained two quarts of water out of the tank after exhausting all other diagnostic avenues. That tackle box was one of the few things that I cherished with memories from my father and grandfather. I cried. Sorry about hijacking the thread but this brought back some painful memories.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I hope you got even Ray.
I pretty much made their life miserable for quite a while, including calling in noise complaints, trash violations and animal cruelty charges. One of the many things that ticked me off was the fact he was on welfare but managed to have a fishing boat a camper and get this, a 1965 Mustang. Meanwhile I was working my ass off just keeping my business above water. They would party late into the night in the summer and my bedroom widow faced their house, of course I couldn't afford air at the time so I had to have my widow open. That prompted the noise complaint. Oh yeah, my house was at the back of a parking lot of a local manufacturing plant, I'm sitting there one morning at the dining room table having coffee watching his brats going through employees cars . Was satisfying watching the dirt bags scatter when John law showed up after a phone call from a concerned citizen. That earned me a bag of shitty diapers under my bedroom window which I chucked in the open window of his Mustang, heehe. When they eventually moved out the landlord found that the entire basement was filled to the top of the stairs with garbage. Ironically the landlord hired me to replace the porch staircase while the turds we're living there. I used to go over often and check his fishing boat to see if my dads tackle box was left after he came home from fishing but it never was. That was forty years ago and it still stings that I lost that tackle box.

Last edited: