Fixin a Ronnie Russell Stroker..

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
How about this kinda setup for betsy? We dont loose heat for mama and can still pull cold air?

Funny story about heat, we bought Betsy from a policeman in GA and it originally had a 283. Jeanne and I flew down, paid, than did an overnight drive all the way back to NH in Jan without HEAT! We stopped at almost every gas station buying hand warmer packets and stuffed them in places they dont beling. I had a red nipple for a week, ha! Turned out to be a trip we would never forget, and the 283, turns out it had 1 cyl down all the way back to NH!!

K

Attachments

• betsy.JPG
    betsy.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok,I'll bring the wet blanket here'Look at the discoloration on that air intake,and it's heat that's going into that beautiful housing.Also look right behind that hose,and you'll see rolled up[sorta] heat insulating material behind the air cleaner.That would look terrible at the car shows.If I'm going for cooler air,I'm going with the more effective Z-11 cowl set up for a street driven car.Now if you're going nostaliga,and ducting into two of the head lights,this thing could to work pretty well,look at Ishiftem's 63.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Don I always had the same thought about those set ups.
Looks like a lot of hardware in a hot engine compartment under the hood.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Uggg! Didn't notice that, just saw what I wanted to see. :dunno2 Sounds like a trade of performance or heat, and that means more hand warmers and a better performing 409!! You may ask, who the hell drives in the winter, us!! With clean roads, no salts were out and she ran great the other day at 19 degreees, ha! Funny, neither Avery or I even thought about heat....

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well at least you have a [very] little better weather than the folks in Min.They only have 3 seasons,June,July,and Winter!

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
That's my engine! The insulation is on the fuel lines when the regulator was on the inner fender. There is no discoloration on the air intake hoses. That's the color they are.

HA! I was on google looking at pictures and found your car and loved the concept.. It looks fantastic but the concern was heat. Can you take more pics of it and let us know what the setup came from, how it performs??

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you are talking about the spacers between the carb’s & the intake, watch the height when using a stock air cleaner. I believe I Tried one inch but had to go half inch to clear the hood.

Dave

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1/2" spacer is the tallest you can go under the stock hood. I have the large round, open-element style air cleaner on my car and the front edge of the filter JUST kisses the bracing on the hood. So it barely fits with those spacers

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Jason, Dave, Don!!!!

We'll for sure grab the 1/2" spacer and now doing a little pleading :bowwith mama on a EFI setup to go back on! Fingers crossed but its between this Fitech setup below and FAST. Looking at customer reviews that are recent, we see a lot of folks praising the FITECH system and love the idea of being precise with fuel/air/timing. We have the ready run MSD dist, so that would need to be swapped with a pro billet, but then we get the timing tuning features which would make life a little simpler. On fuel delivery, you can edit your current tanks, or, we found this company Tanks Inc, ready made and easy... http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...t_id=409/category_id=124/mode=prod/prd409.htm

Either way, well post back and if we do the install, post it all here...

Fitech - 2x4... They have this in 625 HP or for $200 more 1200HP... http://fitechefi.com/products/30064/

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sure sounds like a lot of work and money to take the fun out of owning one of these classic Chevy's from one of the most iconic time era of this brand.
Kinda same to take it away from it.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Sure sounds like a lot of work and money to take the fun out of owning one of these classic Chevy's from one of the most iconic time era of this brand.
Kinda same to take it away from it.

Uggggg, i did think of that too and toiled over it. I do respect the art of the tune with a matchbook to set their points and sniff and smell a plug end to get it all perfect. On the other hand, if we stayed 100% pure, off with the aluminum heads, disc brakes, etc...This is tough...

The compromise, performance. If we can get timing, air, fuel mix all perfect, our engines last longer, we extend history, and we all perform the way the engineers always wanted from the W engine. It also supports new boys like Bob Walla, Walden, Thompson, on and on that without fueling that spirit, we would still be driving the model t...

Its a tough one, I agree with you too...

Heres a happy compromise, first 409 FI engine .. Looks like they wanted it so maybe the permission slip?

http://hotrodenginetech.com/factory-409-fuel-injection-no-really-2/

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The end result might surprise you. You might produce a better torque curve (vs carbs) but peak horsepower could well be lower. However, nobody learns anything if we all play follow the leader, so have at it and we will all learn something. I still haven't had the nerve to try Carl's manifold yet (with 2 street Demons) because my Aubrey 1x4 seems to work so well.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
HA! I was on google looking at pictures and found your car and loved the concept.. It looks fantastic but the concern was heat. Can you take more pics of it and let us know what the setup came from, how it performs??
Any way you do it, whether it be to the headlights or the cowl, you are going to pick up heat especially with headers. The engine throws off heat and it gets absorbed by everything around it. However, it will still be cooler than sucking that hot engine compartment air into the engine. The faster you go and the more rpm you turn the cooler the charge will be. Both the cowl and headlights are both high pressure areas so I don't think you could go wrong with either one. This air box is a one off. My dad bought some of that green foam used in making dried flower arrangements, glued it together, then shaped it into what he wanted. Then gave that to a guy to reproduce it in steel. Last time out I went 10.44 at close to 130 mph so it must work ok!

Attachments

• IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 26