Flame coming out of center Carb

61 tripps

Well Known Member
I start the 61 Impala every few weeks in the winter here in NJ. It needs a few squirts of starter fluid. I believe the choke is stuck. Yesterday on the third attempt a short flame came out of the center carb - I think, looking from the drivers seat. Of course I shut it right down. No visual damage. I admit my mechanical ability is limited. I know someone that has a shop 2 miles from me who will stop by. What do you think?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If the engine had no symptoms when you put it up for the winter I wouldn't do a thing. A little tip, the best thing you can do if your storing a car for the winter months is top off all fluids, remove the battery and put it on an auto charger, crack the doors and trunk to the safety catch and walk away until spring. Starting a stored car every few weeks does more harm than good. I think I have addressed the issue of storing a car for the winter on this site in the past. May be info on our home page. You should also jack the car up just enough to take the weight off of the suspension without letting it dangle off the tires.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some people shouldn’t be allowed to use starting fluid on there diesels Dave. I’m fixing a 60 series Detroit at work right now that needs a new head, cam, and rockers from them supposedly using a little fluid to get it to start. I later found out there definition of a little was 2 cans and when it started she over reved to 2800 and destroyed the top end.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Some people shouldn’t be allowed to use starting fluid on there diesels Dave. I’m fixing a 60 series Detroit at work right now that needs a new head, cam, and rockers from them supposedly using a little fluid to get it to start. I later found out there definition of a little was 2 cans and when it started she over reved to 2800 and destroyed the top end.

I remember when I was a kid being in the shop one of the guys was setting the rack on old 8V92 Detroit Diesel and it started running away, the tech tried to block the turbo with a Chicago phonebook and it sucked it right into the turbo. After that I remember getting yanked out of the building not knowing what was about to happen and boy did it get ugly fast.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got to hear my first runaway diesel on the the second of this month. They had a jelled up newer international towed to us with a navastar engine in it. The tech did the normal things thawed it out in the shop treated the fuel changed the filters but when he started it it died shortly after. He did this 3 times and asked the supervisor what to do and was told to start it and get it backed out the door right away so the tow truck could take it to a international dealer. He got it running and gave it a fair amount of throttle and as soon as he got it out the door we heard the rpms just shoot up and it was all over and watched the parts fall out onto the ground. I reminded him now he only has 3 more makes of engines to blow up after that one.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Had a fella come in with a 3406 that had no oil pressure, ran real smooth, and smoke came out of the air cleaners. This happened when he had almost stalled it. He shut it off, and restarted it. It ran good after that and had oil pressure. I told him it was running backwards, and his air cleaners were his mufflers and muffler was the air cleaner. It took a bit of convincing for him to believe me. Engine was fine.