Floor Pan

bobs409

Administrator
I haven't used the one piece shown but I did use similar that was cut down the middle and it was fine. Just an FYI, the panel in your link doesn't include the floor under the rear seat. (you probably knew that) ;)

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I installed one in the 62 but it was complete with braces and inner rockers. Fit great. Got it from the local resto shop (restoration world) in Hubert heights Ohio. Also did rear seat and top of trunk. Don't remember the brand but fit was good. Don't remember the brand though.

Scott

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
We just finished installation on a complete floor with all the braces on a 1962 SS Impala 409 Convertible frame off restoration . The floor came from Cars Inc. in Michigan and is made it the USA on a jig. It fit great and looks very original. I would only use the USA made reproduction floor with braces from comparison to my original rust free 62's that have original floor pans. Our body shop guy preferred the full floor as compared to pieces of floor and removing and replacing the braces. It cost $ 125 to ship by truck freight to Iowa from Michigan.

The link you provided was a floor pan without braces. If your braces are good then you would have to drill out and
re-weld over 350 spot welds to remove the original floor and leave the braces in your car.
  • I note that most of the floors do not have the bench seat mount(with the fixed nuts) on them. It needs to be transferred from the original floor for the new floor to be correct and if you have a bench seat.
  • If you replace the braces 4 short ones and 2 long ones they cost about $350 plus you have to weld the new floor to them.
  • You also should transfer the seat belt mounting nuts 61/62 are the same, and 63 and 64 are the same. The link you provided has round holes in the floor pan for 63/64 seat belt (holes). They would have to be welded shut on a 61/62
  • You also need to transfer the U shaped braces on the bottom of the front floor pans(they are not reproduced on any of the floor pans for sale)
  • You need to transfer the original back seat lower section, mounting brackets in the back seat floor pan area.
  • If you have a convertible you have to remove and replace all the convertible top supports in the inner quarters to get the full floor with the under back seat piece put in place
  • The reproduction one piece floor goes in from the bottom of the car -it did not fit from the top. We tried and since it was a convertible it should have been easier from the top, it was not. We bent the sides of the new floor pan up to get the floor installed and then rebent them to the 90 degree angle.
  • If you have a convertible you must transfer the back seat mounts to the floor pan (assuming you replace the under back seat pieces)
  • If you have a factory 62-64 SS car you must also transfer the bucket seat mounting brackets to the new floor.
  • I have pictures of all of our complete 1962 floor installation, transfer of items to the new floor and pictures before and after on the car.
  • This LINK shows the parts transferred(in "bare metal" to a new floor that I noted above. Its missing the two long braces on the floor pan - they have to be transferred to the floor if they do not come on the floor https://www.google.com/search?q=64+...=CitzWJOuO6uKjwTtjYngCg#imgrc=hlTassh-Bl2TxM:
  • One more thing. If you have a convertible DO FORGET to transfer the two extra body mounts....convertible only mounts........ "inside the long braces full width braces" (they are not included on the full floor pan with braces) The nuts look like this: http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=5441
Paul

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Hmmmmm thanks guys more food for thought. It is a SS car with bucket seats and NOT a convertible, maybe I better crawl under it and do some more thinking??? anyone know if the link I provided is made in the USA and how it may fit as compared to other brands ? Thanks Again.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the USA made floor pan from Cars Inc before it was installed and and after it was welded in place in the car.
The next to last picture is the bottom of the car, showing the "u" shaped braces on the bottom of the front floor pans and the 4 seat belt mounts (rectangular with nuts welded to them) on the bottom of the rear floor pans. The last picture shows the wiring harness holder clamps(you need to transfer them from all SS cars) for the SS console along with the factory location 4 speed hole that we cut in the new floor -that came on all factory 4 speeds P1030330_tn.jpg P1030331_tn.jpg P1030447_tn.jpg P1030448_tn.jpg P1040168_tn.jpg P1040274_tn.jpg (1961 to 1963).
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My research was that the comparable floor pan with all the braces, was made in Taiwan, and was roughly about $175 /$250 less than the USA floor with braces, . For that minor cost difference for the amount of work to do a floor pan, the jig made USA piece was what we wanted and it fit very nice. I found some references from other classic car sites on line a few days ago, that stated that OER sheetmetal was made overseas.
What I tell sellers of parts is tell me were the parts are made, our I won't buy from you.
Paul

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've found for 59 & 60, there is only one manufacture and a dozen vendors (Sherman in my case). If possible, see if you can identify who the vendor(s) is/are. Summit will probably carry them and they seem to have the best shipping

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Here's a link for what Sherman makes for a 62 Impala:
https://www.shermanparts.com/ecat/b...t2=1959&make=Chevrolet&model=Impala&year=1962

Take the part number and search on Summit, if they don't have a better price, they'll match it.

I like dealing with Summit as 303Radar mentioned they will beat any advertised price by a $1 as long as its in stock and not an auction/close out etc. As long as the vendor is listed even if the part is not shown on their site they will order and drop ship items directly to you. No hassles, and I have had parts that I returned well beyond the normal return policy terms that they gave me credit for.

One thing to mention in regards to PVS409's excellent detail of the 1pc floor pan. Obviously if you have a rotisserie its a non issue, but if you don't have one the 1 piece is damn near impossible to get in place without removing the frame. Point is for a guy trying to do this at home in a garage it may be more work to do it piece by piece but if you don't have a rotisserie or a lift to raise the body that might be your only option. Also be sure to properly brace the body (even on a hardtop) before removing the floor. Last if you go the piece by piece route try to save all your old rusty floor pieces so you know where to drill all the drain holes and seat bolt holes as some of the reproduction panels do not come with the holes.

chris

Rory m

I found the front kick area is different for 61 62 as its a 63 64 floor and it does not have the 2 -2''round circle dimples at front foot area if your building a conquers build!

Rory m

i guess i was wrong i seen a original 64 floor the other day and it had the circles lol but found out the hard way they dont put in the 4 extra convertible only captive nuts in the cross bracing for the body mounts ? so you pay to get a one piece floor and the dont ask what you have first grrrr

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes on the floor pan in my pictures that is a 62 Convertible and our body guy added the extra 4 mounts in the braces in the pictures -cut the floor open to add them as I recall. I reminded him but he knew having done a number of restorations on classic convertibles.

This list includes all the items to transfer and other items needed on some models:
  • None of the floor pans with braces or floor pans without braces have the 4 extra 1961 to 1964 convertible body mounts. Replacement braces for the 4 extra convertible mounts do not have the captive nuts welded to them.
  • There are 2 diagonal braces under the front floor pans that have to be transferred to the new floor pan(they are in my pictures)
  • Transfer the 1962 front seat belt mounts nuts with attached support around the nuts on the bottom side of the floor pan - for 1962's. I don't recall if 61's had these seat belt mounts.
  • For 1963 & 64 seat belt mounts (there are nuts welded to the bottom of the original floor pans) These nuts came on the new floor pan (we removed them from the new floor pan and for the 62 ( in the pictures) we transferred the factory 1962 seat belt mounts (4 of them for 2 front seat belts)
  • The new floor pans with braces or 1/2 floor pans without braces do not have the back seat mounts(4 pieces to mount from the original floor pan) ,
  • The front seat mount for a bench seat on the bottom of the floor pan including the 4 mounting nuts per side is not included on a full floor pan or partial floor pans. You need to transfer it from the original floor for the front bench seat mounting.
  • Transferred the factory gas pedal mount with the brace on the bottom of the floor pan for the gas pedal studs that are on the top of the floor pan. New floor pans of any type do not have the gas pedal studs
  • For the 1962 SS convertible in my pictures, as you can see the 1962 original SS bucket seat brackets were transferred -we used the factory bucket seats bolted to the SS mounts - to mount the brackets correctly. All 62 to 64 SS cars would need to transfer the brackets -for 1963 and 1964 SS the long inner bucket seat brackets were not used by the factory.
  • We cut the 6 drain holes in the new floor inside the car and made them like the originals with lips on the openings.
  • We cut the floor hump with a original factory 4 speed tunnel opening template. This rectangular hole was cut on all 1961 to 1963 factory 4 speed cars and covered with a tunnel cover,boot & shift plate or just a round boot with the tunnel cover on bench seat cars.
  • We transferred the original SS console wiring clamps that hold the wiring from the kick panel to the console used on all 62, 63 and 64 SS cars
  • Transferred the factory convertible top cylinder mounts to the new floor including the fixed mounting nuts welded to the bottom of the floor pan on both sides of the long brace on the bottom of the floor pan.
  • For 61 to 64 convertible cars installing a full floor pan -- all the convertible top factory mounting support brackets that are welded to the inner structure by the rear 1/4 glass had to be removed and replaced to install the floor -required careful measurements - I have pictures of this area if someone needs them.
This floor pan from Cars Inc (with a discount) was great for proper fit compared to a cheaper overseas made full floor with braces.

Paul

Rory m

looks like my floor did come with the 2 braces you described
  • There are 2 diagonal braces under the front floor pans that have to be transferred to the new floor pan(they are in my pictures)