Fltotheo from Germany

Fltotheo

Well Known Member
I'm continually amazed by the efforts of those enthusiasts who live far away from our Lower 48 states and yet are somehow able to collect rare and valuable automobiles. Here in the States we have opportunities to "uncover" old parts that were cast off or otherwise set aside back in the day. A lot less inertia here in the States :).

The "interweb" (I know the difference between the two) brings us closer together, while we keep our distances in place. Amazing!

Your collection looks to be growing and we look forward to helping you out as you move forward with your projects!

Cheers! TomK
Thank you! Sometimes it’s really hard to move on with the old Chevys over here, especially because we have some nice vintage cars here, too (mercs, porsches, etc.) You can’t imagine how often I sit in my garage and catch my self thinking how much easier everything could be if there were european classics in it. Rockers for a 911 Porsche? No problem, I could have these within 24 hours, freight free. Rockers for an 62 Impala? Multiple emails, weeks of waiting, arguing with customs and big bucks for freight. BUT, I bought my first Impala when I was 19, since then I just can’t let them go.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was joking, however I have had it sent from a friends cousin. Anytime you want to get serious, you just PM me. I would not want you to go out of your way though.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We have a local craft beer maker that makes an excellent Hefeweizen, it has won prizes and the Germans who come here sit and drink it all day. I drink it a lot, my favorite beer, but I've never had the real thing.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don, I don't believe I have tried any from your neck of the woods. Which means I need to. I can tell you that I have tried every one I have come across anywhere I have been in the US. However I have never found anything that compares to sitting in a marktplatz in Germany drinking a Crystal, regular, or Dunkel Hefeweizen. Smooth, clean, no after taste. And you don't want to drink too many either.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jeff, sitting in Germany may add some flavor to the beer.

saltbox-dynamitetrailale-rectangle_2.png

This is a Hefeweizen (say that three times fast)! The "Hefe" prefix means "with yeast", hence which is unfiltered, and thus gives the beer unfiltered and a cloudy appearance. We used Bavarian wheat yeast, which can deliver notes of banana and clove. We made this with wheat. The “weizen” means “wheat”, which we’ve added and combined with and pilsner (barley) malt. Huell Melon hops were used for bittering and Hallertau Mittlefru, considered to be the noblest of the traditional European noble hop varietiess, for aroma and flavor. ABV 5.2.

You might like some of their beer names. Dynamite trail was named after a dynamite wharf- it was used to transport dynamite out on NS. Rumor has it that it was also used by the CIA for special exports.
nun-opn-the-run-3-copy_2.png
jeezus-murphy-35-modifie-copy_2.png
saltbox-holymackerel-rectangle_3.png

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey Flo, Great looking chevy's, always loved the 59's with the tail fins, one of my first cars I got was in Anchorage Alaska, 59, it was
a 1957 Chev Bel Air 4 dr Hardtop, Tourquouis and white top, loved that car, I worked with a guy on the night crew at Safeway that had
a black 59 chevy impala, 348- 4spd, red interior, damn that was a pretty car, as a 19 year old, no brains, 1 day I say his car parked in a
restaurant parking lot, he was in it, so I thought I'd scare him a little, there was a little snow on the road, so I drove up and slammed the brakes on, oopsss.... yep, slid right into him. smashed his passenger door in. He came out of that car, looking like he was going to kill me, and he probably should have, what a dumb stupid thing to do. 19 ? no excuses.
I know your looking for a correct # 327 for your SS car and other parts. I do have a console for the SS car I just bought, but just not
sure I should sell it, they are hard to find. I know the feeling of having bad floor boards and rockers, as mine are in that shape also, but the guy I bought it from wasn't a liar or cheat, and my car is in need of complete restoration, so its part of the deal.
Here's a link for a 327 in Boise Idaho. https://boise.craigslist.org/pts/6401448528.html

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My dad was kind of a wonderer, he was a scale technician, mechanic, he made the trip in 1957 in a new 57 chev 4dr chevy wagon, light green. He just loved it up there and by the time school was out in the summer of 59 he had a job offer in Anchorage, so off we
went. He worked for a small company that fixed store scales, meat scales, bakery mixing equipment, also worked his way into the
state weights and measure department, which he later was the Head of Dept for Alaska. I finished my last yr of high school at West
Anchorage High 1960. Alaska was a crazy place for teenagers, it was wild, a lot of drinking, partying, cars, drag racing, fighting, we all worked full time, but played hard as well. Thats where I got the chevy bug, got my first 57 bel air in 1960 and in 1962 when the
SS Impala's came out I just didn't like the look of the new back window, notch top, or convertible look, I was old school, bubble top,
all the way, just loved that 62 Bubble top car. My dad even took me to Seward Chevrolet to look at one, 409 type, at 19, looking at
3400.00 was a unbelievable amount of money to be spending, and I decided not to buy it, but I would get my 409 some 55 yrs later.
Love that 409 bubble top car. Good hearing from you Phil. and that's the rest of the story.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
When did you come back to the lower 48??
The drag strip is just south of Palmer on the Old Seward Highway.
I met the man who owned Seward Chevrolet in 2000. He had a 63 in his collection. Believe it is a used car lot now because they lost their "license" in the early 2000's because low sales.
Candy and I love Alaska!!!!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
When did you come back to the lower 48??
The drag strip is just south of Palmer on the Old Seward Highway.
I met the man who owned Seward Chevrolet in 2000. He had a 63 in his collection. Believe it is a used car lot now because they lost their "license" in the early 2000's because low sales.
Candy and I love Alaska!!!!
Candy's long leash is the only way you got back into the states
:D:tongue
:crazy:cheers

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jeff, sitting in Germany may add some flavor to the beer.

saltbox-dynamitetrailale-rectangle_2.png

This is a Hefeweizen (say that three times fast)! The "Hefe" prefix means "with yeast", hence which is unfiltered, and thus gives the beer unfiltered and a cloudy appearance. We used Bavarian wheat yeast, which can deliver notes of banana and clove. We made this with wheat. The “weizen” means “wheat”, which we’ve added and combined with and pilsner (barley) malt. Huell Melon hops were used for bittering and Hallertau Mittlefru, considered to be the noblest of the traditional European noble hop varietiess, for aroma and flavor. ABV 5.2.

You might like some of their beer names. Dynamite trail was named after a dynamite wharf- it was used to transport dynamite out on NS. Rumor has it that it was also used by the CIA for special exports.
nun-opn-the-run-3-copy_2.png
jeezus-murphy-35-modifie-copy_2.png
saltbox-holymackerel-rectangle_3.png
Be careful Don. You are about to be on the list of Beer importers :brow Hefeweizen :bong

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The place I remember them racing in Anchorage was a small air field call Merrill Field, they would let them drag race there sometimes .
I was a wannabe racer, car guy, but the 57 chevy I had, with the straight 6, 3 on the tree, didn't beat many cars back then, hell I couldn't even beat my brothers new corsair Monza 4spd. I lived with the folks and worked in Anchorage at Safeway from Sept 1960-to -Sept 61. I got a transfer with Safeway to Seattle and worked in West Seattle for a year, and in Oct of 62 drove back up the Alcan Hyw in my 56 chev two ten 2dr, with a built 283 4bbl w duntoff cam, 3spd overdrive. The road was covered with snow, which made it
smooth and dustless, but cold as hell, as my heater didn't work, smart huh. I do remember waiting in a small town up out of the mountains, wrapped in a blanket, freezing my ass off waiting for the gas station to open up, like about 3 in the morning. I loved that 56, I did race down south of Anchorage on the road going to Seward, they had a long straight stretch by the sound, we'd line up and someone would flag us off. It ran pretty good, but as I wasn't any good at being a mechanic, I never new that the carb wasn't opening up all the way to the secondary's, so never got all the potential out of it. I did love drag racing, my friend in Seattle John McLauglin had many fast 56 Chevys, some National title holders, he let me drive once in a while, up at Arlington Wa, just out of Seattle, and we also race down at Puyallup Raceways, I race a guy that was famous for his big Mercury, I think, it was a 56, he never lost much, when I ran him I had him bye 3 car lengths from the line, , then he drove by me like I had drop my anchor. Comes to find out he had bored that old mere out way over the limit of 312... hahhah... The was one of the few Black Racers, nice guy Arnie Bell, never forget him
Stayed in Anchorage again until May or June of 63, then had to head back to Seattle again, girl thing. Took a trip to Pasadena and
bought a 56 Chev Conv . Tourq/White 265/4bl/3on the tree o/v man was that my car. Back to work at Safeway until I joined the
Navy in April 64 At SandPoint Naval Air Station on Lake Washington in North Seattle. Took the easy squeeze 2yr active, 6yr reserve
program, after boot camp in SandDiego. off to Norfolk Va. AirCraft Carrier CVA66. USS America. 2yrs of the best duty, hit, the
shake down cruise in the Caribeanan Isl. Jamaica, Guantanamo Bay, before the bad guys, St. Thomas, then onto the Med Cruise,
Italy, France, skiing in France, gambling in Monoco, Naples, Isisle of Capri, Nice, Genoa, Laverno, Marseille's. After getting out of the Navy in 66 I went back to Seattle and to work for Safeway again, but once again Alaska gave me a call, this time a job offer to
Fairbanks for a large grocery store. With my luck and another trip up the Alcan, I wansn't up there about 3 months in the summer of
67 when they had there large river flood, we were stranded at the only dry stop in or out of town, the air port for 5 days or so. Not a
fun time. Decided that was it for Alaska. Back to Seattle and thats where I've been since, worked at Safeway until 1969, 1yr for
Coke Cola, then onto Rainier Beer for 27 yrs . 1 constant thing in my life, CHEVY'S..... love them.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Welcome to a great site. There's some very knowledgable guys on this site. If you surf Craigslist or such in the states perhaps you'll locate what you seek. If you discover something in my general area I'd be happy to go check parts out for you.