Flywheel decoding

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Moving stuff from storage space to shop I built I was looking at my factory flywheels. One I think is my 64's original cast iron(I switched to a Hayes aluminum I still have too). The other I got with a 80 Camaro 4 speed conversion for my Camaro(now a Pontiac motor TH400 combination(.

One is a 3714463 I have one source saying it is a 348-409. It has a date code of K78 though which I do not understand. if a Julian why the letter, if letter is month an 8 does not match 63 or 64.

The other is a 3973456N date code D10 80 which would fit the Camaro setup.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I didn't think that far back! How close dating were flywheels to car build dates? l Guess it could be, maybe swapped along the tie in the car or GM had stockpiled them .

I was not original owner on the car. Just the last real owner. Sold the body while in college s my folks moved out of state and not storage, and never got paid for it. Guy swore I came and took it from his garage. Still have the title. Check with DMV about 20 years ago and never registered again.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thinking back I did buy a brand new 409 distributor from the dealer in 1970. My Pontiac 1972 HO service replacement aluminum intake I bought in 79 has a '75 casting date so I guess 68 could still be possible as I bought the car in 70.