Fondest Memory of Your CHevy

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Guys,I was sitting around the other night just thinking about the past and the history of my car.As most of you know My 64' Impala Convertible has been mine from day one.I tried to come up with the best memory,but there was so many good ones it would take forever to tell them all.I will tell of a few.
1) Day 1 at Gladding Chevrolet(Glen Burnie,Md.) ,I'm a 17 year old walking up to the car I want to buy,I remember looking in and seeing that 4 speed stick,opening the hood,YEP I WAS HOOKED.I fell in love,and OH MY GOSH!!! First time I kicked into it I knew this was the car for me.
2)Driving a car like this, while still in high school(Senior Year 1964-1965).
3)Well over a hundred class wins in drag racing over a 4 year period,stock eliminator in factory stock and regular stock at least 10 times over those years.
4)Sentamemtal : Driving the car after restoration for the first time after 20 some years in storage,hearing that roar of the big block engine and going thru the gears.Bringing back my car which from 1976-1983, My Dad (1918-1996)was the care taker of for those seven years.He also loved this car even in his 70's loved driving the car(drove it at least 2 times a week),loved to tell his buddies about all the old race stories and motor and car problems he helped me through,and how I changed rears and,clutches,engines ,and plugs on a weekly to monthly thing.Yep this car was loved by my whole family,sure was sweet to have it running and looking good again.
5)In May of 2007, I took my best friend Skip for a ride to a cruise-in,1st time in the car for him since 1969.Skip used to ride to school with me everyday,crusied all the hamburger hang outs together,hung out together ,even double dated with our honeys.When I picked him up with the car that day,about 5 minutes into the drive I saw he was tearred eyed.I asked why and he stated" Just the fact that this car was not only nice ,but was about a lot of his memories that he had forgotten about, as well".He went on for about 15 minutes of him remanising of old memories. He then let me know how good the car looked and sounded and then thanked me for the Memories,helping keeping them fresh in his mind.At the cruise-in he also told people of his stories of the car,some of which I was not even aware of.

Worst Memory: Coming out a movie on a Saturday Night(Late Summer 69") only to find the Chevy was stolen.Car was recovered later that night with severe drive line damage and stolen drive line parts,top cut,boot cut,all interior after market items stolen,interior damage ,windows broken,tools ,roll jack and slicks stolen from the trunk.NOT A GOOD NIGHT!!!!! It took 6 months fighting with the insurance company trying to convince them not to total the car.Eventally it was back on the road in about 8-9 month.

Ok Guys I've opened up lets hear some of your stories,after all its winter in the Mid Atlantic and cars news is minimal. JOHN

http://community.webshots.com/user/paintjohn1

hotrod 409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Memories Of First 409

June 1966: Working at Port Credit Motors (Chev/Olds dealer in Port Credit Ontario, now Mississauga) as an apprentice mechanic earning $2.00 per hour. Just finished high school. A customer traded in a 1964 SS 409, 4 speed ember red on a 1966 Impala SS 396. Car was in the rear parking lot when I spotted it. Took one look and new it had to be mine. Talked my Dad into co-signing for a loan at the bank for the $1800.00 to buy the car ( car was priced at $2300.00 but I was given $500.00 for the trade-in, a 1956 Ford Victoria). Took delivery of the car on June 8, 1966. Car was as follows 1964 SS 409, 340 HP, 4 speed, posi track, ember red w/red interior, factory tach, power steering, power brakes, fender skirts. A cool car.
First date in car. June 10, 1966 took my date to the northwest drive-in at Highway 27 and Dixon Rd. saw the movie THe Blue Max with George Peppard and Ursurla Andress starring. After the movie we had burgers and fries at the Cabin on the Lakeshore. A local hang-out for anyone with a street rod/muscle car.
My date that night is now my wife and we have been married for 37.5 years.:)
Drove the car for 2 years and sold it to a friend from high school.
Worst experience with car. The guy I sold it to was driving to work, a dump truck ran a red light (just like people do to-day) My friend was killed when the dump truck t-boned the car on the drivers side:cuss . car written off.
Fast forward to April 2001. I after 2 years of negotiating and persistant bugging bought another 1964 SS 409 from the original owners son in London Ontario. It is equipped as follows 409, 425 HP, 4 speed, factory tach, fender skirts, power steering, power brakes, posi track, EMBER RED w/red interior. almost a match to my first 409:)
First date in car, took my wife to the Number 5 drive-in in Oakville Ontario to see a Star Wars movie then we went to The Cabin on the Lakeshore for burgers and fries and shakes. Not a hang out for muscle cars/street rods but still open after all these years. Talk about a trip down memory lane. :D Don't drive it too much now, its parked with my other cars in a storage building I own.
Had lots of fun this summer driving my 1931 F**D 5 window high boy street rod equipped with a 409, 3x2 carbs,700R4 trans, dropped tube axle and A/C. Draws a crowd at every cruise and car show mainly due to the 409. It is truly a unique engine:)
best regards
hotrod 409

Norm

Well Known Member
Lots of Chevy memories....

---1966---21 years old---in college---working parttime---engaged---driving 1962 Belair 4 door sedan, 283, powerglide. Wanted a new Chevelle, 275 hp 327 with 4 speed, either bronze color (don't remember chevy's name for color) or marina blue. Couldn't decide between 2 colors--and decided couldn't afford $110 for 4 speed , so ordered black with 3 speed (dumb-dumb idea). waited 8 weeks, still no car. Stopped at dealer to find out what was taking so long---they said was just a backlog of orders. Dealer asked if I'd like to look at another Chevelle that just came in & fellow that had ordered didn't take. He got tired of waiting & bought a Nova from another dealer. I said sure I'll check it out---we walked out back of building & there sat a Marina blue, 275 HP 327 with 4 speed---bought for $75 more---guess it was just fate.... What a car for $2400. Since then I've bought 16 new Chevys & 15 used Chevys. Have owned 9 Corvettes-- 1968 Chevelle SS396, auto on column, bench seats (should have kept, was rare car). 1970 Chevelle-- 1967 & 1979 El Caminos---1988 Monte Carlo SS--- 1994 Camaro Z28, 6 Speed, 1999 Z28 SS, 6speed---1956 Belair 2 door hardtop. 265 with power pack (first car). These are the interesting cars--rest were grocery getters. Sure wish I'd kept some of these cars.... Now have 2007 Tahoe & 1962 Belair 409/409hp.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
1962 BelAir Sport Coupe

Searched for 6 years to replace the one I totaled in 1970. When I found it, it was being prepped for drag racing again....had all the lettering on the sides, pinstriped, 'Mary Lou' in script on the roof above each door. It was without an engine, trans or third member. My mother helped me tow it home with a chain using her new Torino.

Fast forward a year.

Got the racing painted stuff compounded off, decals removed and dropped in a 350/400 Turbo and some 3:70 gears. After getting it ironed out, I drove to a local auto supply here in town to replace some burned out tail light bulbs. I have the trunk lid up, working on the lights when a police car pulls up behind me. The cop walks around the car looking it over real close......wife and kid sitting up front with eyes wide open......

The cop finally approaches me as I close the trunk.......

'You know those seats in this car are stolen, don't you?'

Filled with dread (it had 64 Impala seats front and back instead of the originals), I was worried that it would get towed and I would go to jail. I explained they were in the car when I bought it and had no idea.

He said 'No matter, they ARE stolen. And that's a legal fact'.

Mustering up some courage, I finally asked him how he knew this fact........

He said:

'Because I stole them and put them in the car for Charlie back in 64!'

WHEW! He knew the original owner back when it was first raced on the local strips - known as 'The Pied Piper'.

I was much relieved.......

Worst memory:

Driving to Pate Museum Swap Meet, getting there very early, getting finished very late - then heading for the parking lot and 'losing' the 62 in the sea of cars! I truly thought it was stolen. Worst feeling of my life!

doc396

Well Known Member
1972 i was a senior in high school. working at a gulf station after school and weekends. dad loaned me the money for a 57 chevy bel air 301 4 speed 411 gear. (heaven). after driving a few months my buddies dad had a 67 corvette 427/390 4speed black.white conv. top and red stinger. 26,000 miles. he had bought it hopeing to get my buddy to do good in school and graduate. that plan didn't work. he offered it to me for $2,000.00. i thought what the heck i will hit dad up and see what happens? he went and talked with my buddies dad and talked him down to $1975.00. i sold the 57, got the vette. one thing though, if i got one ticket, the vette went away. i kept my end of the deal. does it get any better than that? i later traded the vette for a 69 Z/28:takethat . at the time i needed a back seat for the drive -in movies:beerbang doc