Food/weight??

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Not sure where to put this, so here it goes under the "interest" part. During your life time, have any of you struggled with food?? Overeating?? Weight gain?? Getting obese?? If so, what did you do about it, if anything. Me, I struggled with weight gain on and off my entire life and I'm getting sick of it. True, I take medication for a few medical issues that as a side affect, can promote weight gain, but it's still my love affair with food and my lack of willpower, that's at the root of my problem. I just love food. Love to eat. I'm approaching the most I've ever weighed (don't ask) and I feel it. It's not the medical conditions I fear that will cause my death; it's being overweight I fear. I have little to no resistance. I know if I lost weight, I would feel much better all over. I know this, but can't seem to get my eating habits under control. Let me tell you what I did this past Wednesday. Had a coupon for McDonalds. Buy one quarter pounder with cheese and get a second one free. Plus medium size French fries for free. So, I got the burgers, fries and a soda. Went to my table and saw that the burgers were the $1.00 menu one's and not what I ordered. Told the manager who gave me the proper one's and offered the others back to him. He said no, for me to keep them, because he would only have to throw them away. So, if you're a good guesser, you know what I did next. Yup, ate all four burgers and the fries. So disappointed in myself for doing that. I knew it was wrong, bad, but did it anyway. I felt bloated all day long. Why wouldn't I. Thankfully, I had enough common sense left not to eat anything else the rest of the day, but that certainly doesn't make it right. I am cognizant of what I eat and I do try to be careful, but many times I fall way short. Portion control is also one of my issues. Instead of taking human portions, at times I take enough to feed two people. I exercise daily and I'm thankful for that. Because of the meds I take, I don't think I am a candidate for lap band surgery or any facsimile. If I don't reign these bad habits in soon, I'm afraid of what might be in the future. Forty years ago, I quit cold turkey smoking two packs of cigarettes a day. Never went back. Have to find that same determination, strength and will power to do the same while I still can, Carmine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I stepped on the scales one morning and seen the needle go past 200# :alarmed
Now I drank a lot of sweet tea back then, so I stopped drinking the sweet tea and that got me under 200.
Then I learned to just put the fork down when I start to get full.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I only weigh 270, been there for years. Graduated high school 1965 at 6'2" 180#....6'5" now. I told the doc I'm not overweight, I'm just undertall. I need to be 7'4" for my weight. I played raquetball for 37 years but had to quit that last year. Too many wrecks and stuff and getting wore out from years of working. Hip, knee, shoulder. Don't get enough real exercise anymore. I'm lucky, as Mary cooks healthy and has saved my life with that. She's a good woman.....:bow:bow:bow

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm 6'2" and weigh in excess of 250 lbs.; not going to say by how much and embarrass myself. For the longest time, I weighed in about 220 which was still a bit too much. I'm at the point now where I'm very uncomfortable with my weight. My belly seems to get in the way. Had to buy a pants size bigger. I lace my sneakers and knot them off, making them like a loafer so I don't have to bend and tie them. Working on the car in close quarters is a struggle. This entire situation is totally ridiculous Getting tired of it quickly. I'm so disappointed in myself. I know good from bad, right from wrong, but I still indulge. I really have to stop being an oinker before I have no say in the matter. Yes Don, definitely the diet I am on. Dave, you're lucky you have a wife who cooks healthy. My wife still works and I do 99% of the cooking, so I can't blame here. Yeah Mike, 4 cheeseburgers. Not proud of it. Disgusting. You might have a point there James. Guess I didn't see the message. Thank you everyone for sharing, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
No Smoothie Don. Didn't have room. Hmmm...………….Wonder why?? But I did have two medium Cokes though. It only gets worse, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I get those urges too ,sometimes. I was out walking one day and listening to my I pod. While walking I got the sudden urge for some dorito chip's. All I could think about how good they would taste. So after getting home I promptly went to the store a bought two for one special bags of them. Went home munched one bag away while watching tv. The other bag laided around a while before it was consumed. I confessed to my wife what I did . She said "are you ok now".:crazy

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's funny Don. Yes James, that "Announcements" would work for me. Just have to get very serious with this. I know my timing is the worse with the holidays coming. I really have to practice portion control and nothing to eat after supper. I have the absolute most worse habit of munching on something before bed. Most of the time, not healthy stuff either, Carmine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You got that right, the holidays coming.
I just keep telling myself that the race car will be faster if I don't eat all that food. :)

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Where we live, we have a McDonald's, LaFamiglia Pizza, Wendy's, Burger King and I Love NY Pizza. All within Puking distance.:doh:dunno2 Wendy's burnt down. (They were my favorite). Burger King moved out, and was replaced by a Car Max.:dunno The only 3 left, are LaFamiglia Pizza, McDonald's, and I Love NY Pizza. :rolleyesMcDonald's Suck's.:barf2 I Love NY Pizza, is operated by Towel Heads.:thud Their Pizza, doesn't really satisfy.:confused LaFamiglia has decent Pizza, but too Expensive. So what's a Couch Potato supposed to snack on?:dunno Cheetos Cheese Puffs.:flag:pepperI graduated from Potato Chips, to them.:rolleyes I Don't eat them, as a Snack. I eat them, as Food.:cloud My reasoning is, I don't Drink, Smoke, or do Any Drugs, so one Evil, can't be that Bad. :dunno 180 pounds bothers my legs, and feet.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Carmine. go to the app store on your phone and install "My Fitness Pal" on your phone. if you are going to do this by yourself you need to log in all the food that you are eating along with the calories, put in 2000 calories a day and then track everything you eat. when you get to 2k calories your done for the day. If you do this you will soon see what you need to do to stop the weight gain. you will be more selective on what you eat. You must log every meal, snack, everything. I lost 30 pounds in 6 months. You also have to care. Exercise is very important. I go to the gym 6 days a week for an hour each day. The gym might also have a nutritionist, I had one through the VA. GO FOR IT.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've fought the weight battle my entire adult life. Every few years I have to drop 10 to 20 lbs…..had to to keep my job. Weigh ins and PT tests in the military and then FAA Medical Exams every 6 months with the airlines. In 1971 I lost 30 lbs in 40 days to get back on active duty. I quit using sugar and only have bread to hold sandwiches together when necessary. Lo (spinach, asparagus) or no carbs, mainly eat meat. I used to be able to tick off almost a pound a day when I got serious. Go to McDonald's and order a burger and hold the bun. Just eat the patty. Steak 3 or 4 nights a week. That all used to work as long as I was active but not so much anymore. Now I just try to keep the calories down. Whenever I bump up against 200 which seems to be more frequent now, I have to get serious and drop at least 10 lbs. I always feel better down around 180 but it gets harder and harder to get there.
I gave up jogging because of my back and went to bike riding, lifted weights to keep up the upper body strength then back in August I had a fall and forgot to roll so I stiff armed it to break the fall and tore up my shoulder. Still have trouble sleeping without pain. Gettin' old isn't for sissies.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your experiences. Some good idea's and suggestions for me to look into. Bottom line is, the onus is on me and me alone. I have to get serious with this, like yesterday. I think about it all the time. Have to move past that and do something about it before it's too late. I've been investigating the lo-no carbohydrate diet that Cecil mentioned. I can live without potatoes and bread, but I do like pasta. I probably should exclude it all together instead of having just a little at a time. That little never seems to work well for me. I like meat and vegetables so it shouldn't really be much of a problem if I stay with it. Seeing how I do like vegetables, think I'll look into some vegetarian dishes, like casseroles. Well, ok, time to have a couple of soft boiled eggs without toast. Oh boy, this should be good, Carmine.