Force and Bernstein collide @ 300+MPH

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Unbelieveable!!! Its amazing that no one was injured more seriously.

This is the same track where Tom Jacobson hit the same wall with his 62 Pro-Mod bubbletop. I belive that was in 89 or 90. He crossed the timing lights at something like 191MPH.................on his roof!!!! Broke 3 or 4 ribs but was fine after recoperating in Texas for about 3 days. Got back in his semi and drove back to CA. TOUGH!!!!

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
In the video.....what was that red thing that came out and hit the other car?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I think it was an equipment part of something on the track(probably attached) at the middle marks and he ran on it
Robert

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

If you look closely, Bernstein hit the cones and one bounced off the far wall and back under Forces right tire which immediately exploded !!

OK,,, from further review,,it looks like the cone went under Force and blew the tire,,,
Is that what you see??

Man,,O ,,man,,,

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
DQ...that's what I thought I saw too...and that would make sense as the deflated right rear tire would cause the vehicle to dramatically swerve to the right. The inflated left still pushing hard for a split second.

I'm glad these guys are OK.

Under 5 seconds and over 300 mph!!! Yeah...just think that we breathe in and out about two times.... in that same time frame. :eek:

Ron

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
DQ...that's what I thought I saw too...and that would make sense as the deflated right rear tire would cause the vehicle to dramatically swerve to the right. The inflated left still pushing hard for a split second.

Ron

I miss stated that ,, I said the right tire as the right of the screen ,, but I should have said his LEFT tire,, His right tire still inflated would pull the car to his right across the path of Bernstien,,,as it did,,,
Latest video ,, from the horses mouth !!!:D What a great guy,,,and a lucky guy,, I`m very glad we didn`t lose him.
He talks about the safety of the cars and what he has done since losing his good friend,,

http://cbs11tv.com/video/?id=21549@ktvt.dayport.com&cid=7

wagon409

accident

It will be interesting to hear more about the cause of this accident. It appears the car split in two before contacting any other object. John said in an interview today that the chute pulled the car in two. The chassis must have been weakened by some other incident. The tire was flat, but still intact on the car and I would have suspected it would have been shredded if it blew like we originally thought.

It reminded me of one of the clutch explosions you saw back in the 60's that would just cut a cara in half. He is one lucky man and is already asking about getting back in the car for the event two weeks from now.....the doctors said Uh...NO.

Thank the lord his is still alive and looking forward to a full recovery.

Marc