Ford Fairlane 500 1964

S

Swiss Impala

I know, most of you like drag racing. To be honest I do not like it so much.
I like races on circuits, the longer the better. What I like really are those old
long distance circuits, like the Nürburgring, the old Nordschleife in Germany,
or even Spa Francorchamps in Belgium. The corner combination of Eau Rouge
is crazy and it is not easy to hold down the hammer on the floor there.
Here is something from the Nürburgring, I know it is a Ford and you will
throw me out of this forum, but nevertheless it is nice, very nice!

http://www.dogfightmag.com/2010/08/a-1964-fairlane-hits-nurburgring/

Franz

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It's what we grew with up Franz. That's all. If we had these tracks in our backyards we would probably be involved in the same thing. Dragstrips were very prevalent in the U.S. when I was growing up. I think the nearest road course to me was Watkins Glen NY. Probably a days drive away.

Ryan on Dogfight forum said:
This is RAD. Some schmuck got enough balls and cash together in order to get his Holman Moody prepared 1964 Ford Fairlane 500 to Germany. The final goal? Attack Nurburgring.

Now, typically when you watch in-car “Ring” videos you hear small displacement motors with lots of valves screaming in a high pitched tone while you watch the driver smoothly caress the car through the track. It’s a ballet of sorts.

This is something different. This is an American monster literally attacking the track while the driver does his best to contain the power within. It’s not a ballet, it’s a war.

Racing is racing! Fun is fun. The funny part about the above post on Dogfight is how Mr. Ryan calls the guy a "Schmuck". Well I watched the entire 6 minutes and 45 seconds and saw this "Schmuck" pass a bunch of cars. I didn't see anyone pass Mr. Scmuck. Cool Video!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:bow Thanks for posting this Frantz.I grew up in the deep South[Alabama] and The name Holman and Moody was who you called if you were into Fords.I dont know how many inches that motor has but I HEARD it break the tires loose in secound and third gears.This "smuck" knows how to drive this car.A really neat video and machine,and best of all it's American Iron
":deal

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the video

I am on a Late Model Race Team but 20 years ago there was a Road Coarse 50 Miles away and I would solo in a 65 289 powereed Cobra and that was fun.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Back in the early 1960's there was a drag strip (Mid America Raceway) west of the town of Wentsville, Missouri a little over half an hour from where I lived where I drag raced my 1934 Plymouth 392 hemi with 6 stromburg 97's and my 1955 T-Bird 409 powered. In the mid 1960's a road course was added that incorporated the drag strip as a long straight. There is info on the web. The road course was 2.89 miles long.

I remember one race watching and listening to the big cars go. Most of the drivers were careful/conservative except for one - A. J. Foyt driving a Dodge hemi. I was viewing from the last turn before the long straight and two cars came into the turn very close together followed by A J right behind and closing fast. Once through the turn A J some how drove between the two cars and up the hill & under the pedestrain over pass and out of view. He was a wild man.

Clyde

S

Swiss Impala

Here are some pictures of "Eau Rouge" and what can happen there. I think they
made it a little bit "easier" the last years, but it is still crazy!
The race car was a Corvette C6.R. Driver was unhurt. Unbelievable what
modern race cars can bear.
I would like to go with the ZR-1 through it! :crazy :eek:

Attachments

• 01_eau_rouge_spa-francorchamps.jpg
    01_eau_rouge_spa-francorchamps.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 40
  • vemp_1003_01_o+no_3_srt_corvette+gt_series_race.jpg
    vemp_1003_01_o+no_3_srt_corvette+gt_series_race.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 40
  • vemp_1003_04_o+no_3_srt_corvette+crash.jpg
    vemp_1003_04_o+no_3_srt_corvette+crash.jpg