Ford vs Gm at Thompson.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Went to the ford vs GM day at "Thompson Raceway Park" today. Made it through 3 rounds. Farthest I've ever been. Only one more round after that. Lost on a red light after creeping forward and shutting off the top yellow. Best ET, 12.53 best MPH, 108.59, best 60'was 1.75. I'm creeping up on 12.40's After the fist round the track went away due to the street cars and street tires not laying down rubber, After the first round I was spinning out of the hole. All in all it was a very good day for me. The guy I hooked up with for the race is the guy I helped with the 400 sb. 79 Malibu. I trailered my car because I was running open headers. He drove his car. During the 3rd round his engine developed a noise. Ends up we trailered his car home and he drove my car home with open headers. Now it's around 30 miles from my house to the track. Normally you would not see one cop! Well on this day we had to run the gauntlet. Passed a sheriff with red and blues flashing not 5 miles from the track. Then another 2 miles up the road was a wreck with a rescue squad and a state boy moving up the road. My bud was caught in stopped traffic with open headers, slicks and the front windsheild was lettered with my index and dial in, ho boy :doh He made it through that by shutting the engine off an coasting past both cops :rolleyes: We then hit the thruway. Open headers, overdrive tranny, 4.56 gear, 28" slick and 2800 rpm. Seems this equals right around 70 mph if my bud is telling the truth about the rpm, what a gas! :dunno. I was pulling chase with the 2005 dually with his car on the trailer. Off the thruway onto my home street, here is a local cop! Coasted by this one to, but boy was he looking :grumble: What a day:eek: Wish I could do it all again tomorrow:beerbang

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
If that had been me towing the trailer they would have nailed me for something for sure:roll And of course let the "race" car go!
Do you have any pictures?
robert

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
If that had been me towing the trailer they would have nailed me for something for sure:roll And of course let the "race" car go!
Do you have any pictures?
robert

No pictures, I seem to forget the camera every time, I'll ask others If they took pictures and see if I can "Pirate" a few.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
boy, the streets just arent safe anymore. :roll cops everywhere. :roll
glad you law abiding young citizens made it home safe:roll

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray, Good racing. Great story. Can't make up stories that good. Will come in handy during those long winter months,, sitting around the garage ,, bench racing. Yep, that little 30 mile trip must have been " interesting ".

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice story.
Around here they don't bother you unless you are in a Honda making a racket. I drove my 283 for 2 years with no mufflers, straight pipes out the back.

Don

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sounds like GREAT fun! You know I got this fiberglass bumper that would shave off a few hundred pounds:D