Found behind the barn! 64 Impala SS 2dr ht 409 4spd Car...

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Just clean the daylights out of it and sell it!!!
DO NOT CHANGE FRAMES!!!! They have VIN's on them to match the car. Police know where they are.
Collect additional parts if you want but your best return is not to change anything that is original.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Once you change stuff, the question arises, is it a made up car. Like Mike said, paperwork proving it is an original 409 car will make the difference selling it or not.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My guess 340 hp seems I read somewhere most 340s had the M20 whereas the HP got the M21s unless otherwise ordered :dunno

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My guess 340 hp seems I read somewhere most 340s had the M20 whereas the HP got the M21s unless otherwise ordered :dunno

Well we don't know if it had an M20 or M21, the paperwork will tell all. That';s what so great about my GTO(Pontiacs), I have the original docs on it and know exactly how it came. Invaluable history.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Well we don't know if it had an M20 or M21, the paperwork will tell all. That';s what so great about my GTO(Pontiacs), I have the original docs on it and know exactly how it came. Invaluable history.
Cowl tag has a M20 on it unless thats for something else

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think M20 just meant it was a 4 speed, not whether it was a M20, M21, or M22 in 64?

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
Nice find. Odd build. Those days one could personalize options / colors to fit your taste. As far as a rebuilder, ............... I would NEVER go through a rusty car. I am spoiled by west coast baked in the sun vehicles. Not enough lifetimes left to spend thousands of hours on a metal car. There is really has no great potential when one figures the hours of labor, parts, and cash one could sink into this rebuild. I think the buyer has the correct idea. Pay scrap price ( approximately $200.00 ) , clean it up a bit. and sell for 6 to 7 thousand dollars to someone with the american dream.

58to64chevpontiac

Supporting Member 1
So, is anybody curious to what I found about the car?.... I got the option breakdown from George at Vintage Vehicle Services (Great guy, and was Fast!) and it is a factory 1964 Impala SS 340HP 409 4speed Posi Trac Car, factory Tuxedo Black, with white upholstery with red trim......I am considering serious offers.

58to64chevpontiac

Supporting Member 1
I received further update on the car from George @ Vintage Vehicle Services. This car is one of only 28, model #1447 coupes and model #1467 convertibles produced in Canada with the L33/M20 (340hp 409/M20 Muncie 4spd)...will post more info once I receive the hardcopy info in the mail (These were sent to me via Email PDF from George, as I opted for the rush service)

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you really want to sell this car ,you should price what you would take for it. I hate it when some one says make a offer, hell no , tell me what you want for it . Then I will say yes or no. You know what you paid for it, now you set a price you are happy with. With a price a person can decide if he has any interest at all. Without price probably lose any interest,at least that's the way I see it.

58to64chevpontiac

Supporting Member 1
I understand what you are saying RE price. I hate that also. I'm basically looking for $7-7500 usd for the car, depending with or without spare chassis...I do have some interest locally at the moment. Car has Clear Title in my name, and will come with all the Vintage Vehicle Services Info as well. There are also a spare rear bumper assembly, correct rad and alt, headlight bezels, hood, hood hinges, and possibly a spare grille assembly that i will include with the car. If I needs to be shipped I can get it rolling on steel wheels with fair tires for transport at no cost, and can help load. Car can also stay here for a while if necessary before pickup if paid in full. I'm willing to work with the buyer in any way I can (within reason). I also have a lead on a fully rebuilt date correct 340hp 409 complete, and will pass on the contact info to the purchaser.

bobs409

Administrator
That's ridiculous. Why would it take 100 thousand dollars to restore it?? Maybe if you have a meticulous high dollar restoration shop do all the work so you don't get your hands dirty. Is that how you did your car? Most guys on here do their own work and there is NO way you would need that much to restore that car. My own car was in about that condition considering all that I did on it and I probably have 25k into it, tops.

58to64chevpontiac

Supporting Member 1
Our 62, I'll be sure to post my thoughts next time you try to market something. I came to this board looking for advice on what to do with the car, majority told me NOT to part it, I even got the documentation proving it is a 409 car (do you have any paperwork for yours?) I priced it along the advice i got and I've been buying selling and parting these for over 30 years also, and have 240 (last count) Vintage vehicles here. I think the negative aspect of tire kickers/low ballers is what turns off alot of sellers from even marketing their car, as the just don't want the hassel. I'll put it on Ebag and in Hemm if it doesn't move by spring (Please don't bid!) I'm in no rush to sell, I have lots of room and it can stay for years if it must. Enjoy cloning a 6cyl Impala and bragging it's a real 409 Car!