vette1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 294

ssvette

Wow that looks awesome :eek:
I have to get this motor I think we have a new direction
in the rebuild of this car. Thanks dq

bobs409

Administrator
Speaking of Doug Marion, did anyone notice he signed the guestbook? We are getting popular! :)

Doug Marion and SuperChevy magazine is the reason I even knew what a 409 was! I was probably 13 or 14 reading about a 409 from a borrowed copy of SC magazine in school. That's when I knew I had to have a 409 for my very own. The rest is history...

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Replying to myself again...

Originally posted by 348NUT
It's funny. My dad recently got an original 57 T-Bird from my mom's Uncle's estate. He bought it new and has low miles,312, electric windows,etc. My Dad passed away two years ago and I could probably get this car if I wanted it, at least I could drive it whenever I want. .... I have absolutley no interest in this car. If it was a Vette I'd be in it every chance I got! I guess I'm a true Chevyman at heart. This proves it, right? Now, why wasn't my Great Uncle!? :mad: :D NUT

A true Chevy guy would get the T-Bird, pawn it off to some Ford guy for big $$$, and then build himself a MONSTER 409 to stuff in a '55 Chevy. :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep,,,,Doug Marion,,,,,,,On to greater mags !!

He is now the Executive Editor of Chevy Rumble and Feature Editor of Super Rod !

Way better mags then the recycled articles of the conglomerate magazines !!

Thanks should go to Doug and his staff members at both mags for such a good job !!
I don`t think there is a issue without a story or mention of the 409`s,,,,,,,,dq :cheers

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Mike,

I agree! I only have 7 problems with that... a mother and 6 siblings!:D :cry NUT

ssvette

Well I would like to thank everyone for their help on this topic I was looking through the want ads in our local recycler paper and found an all original corvette 283 with matching number heads and a 1957 edelbrock tripower with three stromberg 97 carbs linkage and all. The deal turns out like this as I was talking to this man about the corvette motor I mentioned the 409 I had found recently and he stopped me in mid sentance, he said that this was a little more than coincidence he goes on to tell me about
his 1959 el camino which he was looking for a 409 motor. To make a long story short I am going to pick up the 409 for him and I pick up the vette motor, this is truely a small world. Sorry if disappointed anyone with not going for the vette 409 combo but this deal was meant to be.
http://community.webshots.com/user/ssvette

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
One thing I've learned is that life is full of disapointments.:(

In other words... No Biggie! :D I'm glad you found the deal you were looking for. But I guess this means You won't be hanging out with us any longer? :cry Come back and visit some time and give our web adress to the guy with the 59! Fairwell, NUT;)

ssvette

Well the deal goes down this weekend and both parties are
very excited about it. :D Hopefully 1957 vette # 1385 will have a new mill by next weekend.:p

ssvette

As the story continues the motor was bought and Rob took it home. after carefully working the pistons with a little marvel oil and turning it over by hand we did a compression test which showed all the cylinders at 160 with about 4 PSI difference. We thought we had a winner until we pulled the heads off which one turned out to be cracked very badly---how did it pump up to 160???? anyway Rob would like to know if these are the right heads for a 1965 340hp 409 motor. the last three digits are 817 he would also like to know if anyone has one?? Thanks Guys :D