Found My Dad's Indian Motorcycle

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your father must have really been a stand up guy to sell his motorcycle for your mother’s sewing machine. In fact, to have a motorcycle in the late ‘40’s proves that!

I might be a bit embarrassed to say that I probably would have easily been able to rationalize selling the sewing machine to buy the motorcycle - in the spirit of Elwood Blues selling the Caddy for a new microphone...... but selling the motorcycle would have been a topic I would have avoided at almost all costs. Still is.

Which is why the cabin, motorcycle, boats, 63 Impala, Suburban, and Duramax are all still mine, and we have a rarely used old Singer that belonged to my wonderful mother-in-law.

Absolutely great story,thanks for sharing, James!

Chip

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
This was the reason i asked James. I inherited my Great Grandmother’s Singer a long time ago and this was the first time i had opened it up in a long time. I found the serial # G9494328 but no date. I’ve got to get it cleaned up.View attachment 83415View attachment 83416

Oh my I have it's twin and table appears to be in same condition! Damn those things are heavy!!!!!
Robert

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With 42 years in the motorcycle business I saw very few motorcycles survive a marriage. Most got sold because of safety concerns or for a down payment on a house. Some customers would come back after the kids were gone.
Pic of the heavy Singer
20200702_113659.jpg