Four barrel on a 283

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Guys:

I have an original 283 with a 2 barrel (170 HP?) on my 1962 Impala SS. I located a 1962 4 barrel intake from a 250 HP 283 motor, and have a four barrel carb already rebuilt.

This is a single exhaust car, with 112,000 on the odometer. Do you think swapping this intake/carb setup will do anything for performance? I do not plan any additional modifications to this engine, as it will be replaced at some point in the near future. I use it as a daily driver.

Thanks,
Tom K

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Tom
What seems like a thousand years ago (high school) I had a 57 Pontiac (Canadian) with a 283 and an old Rochester 4GC.
It had three on the tree but went like a shot in first and second. I was able to stay with 327 4 speed cars up to about 50mph and then they'd go by.....that car was a lot of fun.
Definitely do the swap.......you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Duals would be nice but the single exhaust will work just fine.
BJ

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My 58 Bel Air came with a 283 2 barrel and castiron powerglide. I put dual exhaust on it and it sounded so much better, glass packs. I then bought a castiron 4 barrel intake with crusty Rochester 4 jet. I rebuilt it and put it on and it ran like a sewing machine and got better mileage than the 2 jet. It made a roar when you opened up all the barrels but as to being faster I doubt it, it just sounded faster.:D Roy

Hippie

I put a '66 cast iron square flange intake on my 283/170HP/Iron Glide/3.36 '62 SS with an 1850 600cfm Holley on it. I have it jetted about as lean as it will go but it runs pretty good. My stock 2 bbl. intake was burned out around the heat passage under the carb and was scrap and I needed an intake ASAP. I had the 4 Bbl intake and a nice tight 600 so I used them. I also put the dual feed bowls and secondary metering block from a worn out 3310 780 on the 600. It's been on their 10 years and even exercising the 4 Bbl. frequently it will average about 16 MPG, better than it got with the 2 Bbl. I also have full 2" dual exhaust with Walker Continentals on it.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks for the feedback

Guys, thanks for the feedback. I will take everything into consideration when I make my decision!

Best,
Tom K