Free appraisal

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Odd thing to notice, but I had a Cadillac unit that looked very similar to the one pictured. The mounting brackets would be different, but the head unit and dial look look to be the same. It might not be as hard to find a Caddy unit than a Chevy. Brackets would be another story.

Junky

Well Known Member
If I had an original and could sell them for $1000 each, I could reproduce them so well, that you would have a difficult time figuring out what was the original and what was the reproduction.

Junky

Well Known Member
I am still thinking of a cruise control unit for my 1962, and was wondering if anyone here has an original one that they would be willing to part with? Now that I have read this thread from the beginning to end again, it appears that the 1961, 1962, & 1963 units are similar to each other. Would it be possible to install a 1963 unit on a 1962? Thinking about the dash configurations, I believe that the 1961/1962 dash location would be different than the 1963? Is this so, and could a 1963 unit be adapted to a 1962?

Junky

Well Known Member
I have been doing a little research on this, and it seems that the dash control parts are the same, and it is only the mounting housing (3783061) that changes from 1962 to 1963 cruise units. My biggest problem is that I can't find many of the parts listed in the parts book to know for certain. I did find that the "brain" externally is the same, however, GM made changes internally to the brain in 1963 from the 1962 brain, as well as the dash control. I don't see this as being a problem overall, since everything seems to be the same when I compare the 1962 installation instructions to the 1963 installation instructions.. One of the reason that I am researching this, is because I have located a complete NOS 1963 cruise control unit. It is part number 985524. I have yet to find this part number in any of my parts books or online. There is a label on the top of the box that says "demonstration unit". I am thinking that this might be a specially assigned part number, which might have corresponded to a special discount when it was installed on a "demo" car? If I could find someone that has a complete NOS 1962 unit, and would like to trade for this complete 1963 unit, that would be great. If not, then I will continue to look for another NOS 1962 unit.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Other than the dash and maybe the rad support, the mechanical bits of a 62 and 63 Chevy would be the same for the cruise control. 63 may just have had some improvements over the 62 but you’d think they would work if they say all worked on a 283 or 327 and maybe the 409?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Russ...the dial for the 63-64 was mounted on top of the lower part of the dash. 61-62 as I remember, were round and fit the lower part of the dash. Don't see how they could interchange.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
From tons of research, it appears that the dash mounted cruise control on a 63 has a bezel that is calibrated for different speeds from 30 to 70mph and the knob fits in the dash in the hole for the vent control, with a sticker for cruise placed over the "VENT" on the dash. Whereas the cruise control bezel on a 62 doesn't have the calibrations, just low, high and off, plus the 62 control fits in a chrome housing to the left of the instrument housing. The brain fits in the same place on the engine for 61-63 and appears to use the exact same mounting brackets, speedo cables and contol cable, all of which leads me to believe that a 63 cruise control will probably fit a 62 once you find the control housing for a 62.54268168_10213928174460582_6870006807943708672_n.jpg44251967_751643295180236_6332435747554983936_n.jpg

Junky

Well Known Member
Thanks Carl... You have confirmed what I was trying to convey. It appears that the only thing that I will need to find is the adapter that goes in the hole at the dash so the knob will sit flush with the dash, and the drilling template for drilling the hole. Should anyone have either of these, please let me know. I would prefer to find a 1962 Cruise unit to buy, or I could buy this 1963 unit and trade for a 1962 unit. Either way would work for me. thanks Junk

RussC

Well Known Member
From tons of research, it appears that the dash mounted cruise control on a 63 has a bezel that is calibrated for different speeds from 30 to 70mph and the knob fits in the dash in the hole for the vent control, with a sticker for cruise placed over the "VENT" on the dash. Whereas the cruise control bezel on a 62 doesn't have the calibrations, just low, high and off, plus the 62 control fits in a chrome housing to the left of the instrument housing. The brain fits in the same place on the engine for 61-63 and appears to use the exact same mounting brackets, speedo cables and contol cable, all of which leads me to believe that a 63 cruise control will probably fit a 62 once you find the control housing for a 62.View attachment 70133View attachment 70134

The part number 521 unit I have is as the photo posted of a 63 cruise