Fresh Rebuild Not Running Well

Junky

Well Known Member
I recently had my 327/300 HP engine rebuilt, and it idles OK, and it runs OK, however, when you give it the gas, it wants to stumble and dies. If you feather the throttle, it will run well, until you try a full acceleration. Then it will backfire through the carburetor (Carter AFB), and stall. The carb was rebuilt right before the engine, but it sat for 4 or 5 months while the engine was out of the car. I have tried to adjust the carburetor to no avail. It seems that it is running too lean. Points and timing are dead on, and all plug wires, plugs, etc., were replaced. The only thing that I did notice, is that if I remove the linkage at the top of the accelerator pump, that the pump will move up half its distance. To get the link back in, I have to push the pump half way down. Is this setting correct, or is the pump not getting its full travel the issue? I have run out of things to check to resolve this problem. The way that it presently is, it isn't drivable. thanks Junk

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Sounds like you are on the right track. Take the air cleaner off and operate the throttle to full open...is there fuel discharging from the nozzles? No??? Could be an adjustment issue...or a bad/dry pump...or very likely the discharge nozzles may be plugged. Good luck

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Here is something I learned on Eddy's and Carter carbs, if they sit for some time you may have to pull them apart as the squitter will not discharge fuel. Take the top off take off the nozzle assy. then you may have to pry the little check valve parts out of the hole as they stick in there, spray some WD-40 in there and put it back together fire it up then shut it off and snap the throttle to see if fuel come out of the nozzles. I have had over 20 of the AFB style carb do this on my and this fixed everyone of them.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Also,readjust that pump linkage.1/2 the way down is way too far down for any kid of a decent pump shot.

Junky

Well Known Member
Any chance of a vacuum leak?

I sprayed ether a all around any place where there might be a vacuum leak, and there was none.

Also,readjust that pump linkage.1/2 the way down is way too far down for any kid of a decent pump shot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to give that a try also, along with checking the check valve ball. It does squirt some gas, but just not enough. If all else fails, I will send it out to a professional carburetor rebuilder. I have never worked on a AFB, and I fear putting my hands into it might make it worse. I used to do Rochesters, but that was the limit of my experience, and that was more than 45 years ago. Old age crept up on me when I wasn't watching... Junk

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If it sprays some,Id work on that pump linkage first.Don't worry,it'll come back to you once you get into it.

Junky

Well Known Member
I would like to, but last night, when I was taking the dog out, I tripped and fell, and bruised a few ribs. It is going to be a week or two before I will get back to this project. I'm trying to keep moving, but I am a hurting puppy right now. Dr. (wife) has forbid me from working on the cars. I got to do some light work today while she was out.. Hard to keep this old dog down. Thanks for the suggestions. As you can see, my fingers are still working well as a typist.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The most mis- understood/ confusing carb out there. I have not had the displeasure of working on one of those in years Don.