Front and rear bumpers

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Once I get my '62 up and running, I will probably replace the front and rear bumpers. They are definitely good cores to rechrome if I chose to do so. There is a plater about 2 hrs. from me that I've used before and have been real happy with. I also took a look at some new ones being sold by some reputable vendors. They go for about $350.00 or so each. I've always been a big proponent of rehroming the originals because I know how they fit. Problem is, that I don't know if I could get the originals rechromed for that amount. I often wonder about the new ones; where the cores come from, who does the chroming, fit, etc. Not really sure what I want to do. If any members have bought new ones, where did you get them at and price if you don't mind sharing. Are you happy with them?? I did see on line one vendor, Bumper Boyz out of LA, and did they ever take a beating. A lot of bad reviews. I've seen them personally at some local shows by me and their product looked good. But, I think I'll pass on them. Thank you, Carmine.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Carmine, had the origional bumpers rechromed in Haltom City, Tx. (just south of Ft. Worth) Cost around $900.00 front & back. these two brothers do very, very good work. go to www.JBChrome.com ( J&B Polish & Chrome) They did other work for me also. I will not us anyone else.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I rechromed my original bumper's out of Superior chrome from Texas . They do excellent work. I was very happy with all the chrome work they have done for me. I actually seen reproduction bumper's on a 1962 impala and you could tell they were not the same thickness metal as original .

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
i would agree with the other guys. If you have the choice I would re-chrome the ones you have. My front bumper was damaged so I opted to get one through showcars. The finish was very nice but the fitment was not good at all. It took a lot of "massaging" to get it aligned and looking correct.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, I have put a set of aftermarket bumpers on my last '63. They were nice and fit ok but not as nice as the original bumpers. The price at the time was around 199.00/set. I think the current price of the aftermarkets is not lot less than rechromng. I will be going the rechroming route with my current '63 project when I get that far. By the way, what is the name of the chrome shop that is 2 hours from you and where are they located?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, I have put a set of aftermarket bumpers on my last '63. They were nice and fit ok but not as nice as the original bumpers. The price at the time was around 199.00/set. I think the current price of the aftermarkets is not lot less than rechromng. I will be going the rechroming route with my current '63 project when I get that far. By the way, what is the name of the chrome shop that is 2 hours from you and where are they located?

Some good advice. Thank you everyone. My bumpers are in good shape but do have some scratches on them. Chrome is fading. No dents, creases, rust, etc. They do need to be redone though. I think I'll go with this guy who I used before. I not only saw the work he performed for others, but he did the rear bumper on my '56 gasser wagon. I was and still am very pleased with it. A friend had a lot done on his 442 Olds and he found a tiny little blemish on one of the pieces. To me, I wouldn't have been concerned about it, but he sent it back and had it redone with no problems or issues.

Thanks W head for that reference.

Jim, the business is called "Sandys Rechroming" and is located in Syracuse, NY. A family operation and they have a website that I was just on. I filled out their form for an estimate so we'll see what they say. What's nice about them, is that they come to my area I believe every other Friday to make pickups and delivery's. They come to a local Chevy dealership about 5 miles from me. (At least they use to do this). If I decide to go with them, which I probably will, I think I'll drive to their location. Gets me out of the house and area for the day, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

Jim, the name is actually "Sandys Bumpers". Sorry about that. I did hear back from them. Rechroming is $480.00 for each one. I'm not quite ready yet, but I do see me doing business with them.

That's funny '58 delivery. Probably a dog team would get stuck. It seems like we've had an unusual amount of snow this year. And cold; 1 degree this morning. I just hate winters here. Guess I'd rather complain then do anything about it. Yup, I'm here through choice. I see you're from California. Sure would like to see palm trees, white sand and feel the warmth of the sun. Maybe in my next lifetime LOL, Carmine.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
High line plating in Cuba, Mo. is probably where I'll take mine. They list the prices for a 63 on their website and it's for each piece of each bumper. I've never had them do any work yet but I did talk to they guy once about my 409 valve covers. He was honest about it and said he didn't want to do them because of the wire looms. He said he would get them all ready then the looms would catch in the buffer and bend them; that would make him mad and he'd throw the piece which would then cause him to have to redo the chrome and that would cost me more.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, where in NY do you live? I've been around there but only in the spring.

In upstate NY; Orange County. About 65 miles northwest of NYC. Right on the border of NJ and PA. I can make the George Washington Bridge in about 1 hr., but who wants to. Where have you been in NY?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Spent a long memorial day weekend in Binghampton, flew into Syracuse drove a rental to Binghamptom via Baseball hall of fame, beautiful country homes all the way. Another Memorial day weekend spent in Buffalo, not so beautiful but had a good time at the falls, my hotel was about a mile from the Anchor Bar. Daughter played travel softball and we had to go to NY to qualify for Nationals as her team wasn't strong enough to qualify in Calif. Fun times.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, I have seen the Chinese bumpers, they are a 6 at best on a scale of 1 to 10. After 5 years, they are a 4. Unless the chinese are better today, if you pay $700 for 2 new bumpers that are junk in no time.............. better to have them rechromed if you can find a good price locally.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
By all means have your originals rechromed Carmine and Bob. Don't waste your hard earned money on Chinese Crap. Just had all the chrome done on my 60 Pontiac. The bumpers on that car are much larger, the cost was 650.00 each.