Front and rear bumpers

bobs409

Administrator
I just sent some pics of my window frames to get a quote. I'm going to just ship my stuff too instead of waiting for spring Carlisle.

I hope we both have a good experience with them. I have other cars that will need chrome work later on and it would be good to have someone reliable to turn to.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bumper is on its way to Tenn. Had to get a box from U-Haul to accommodate the 3 pieces. Additionally, needed some of those styrofoam peanuts which I bought at Staples. Shipping with insurance via UPS was $48.20. $10.00 for the box. $24.00 for the peanuts that I can't even eat!!!!!! Whoever said this stuff wasn't expensive, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Should have just dumpster dived like I do! :D I wouldn't bother with peanuts especially now while they are in bad condition. Who cares if they get scratched during shipping?

bobs409

Administrator
Thought I updated this thread. ?? I got a reply from them that they don't do pot metal, die cast or aluminum so I have to go somewhere else for the window parts. :(

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Thought I updated this thread. ?? I got a reply from them that they don't do pot metal, die cast or aluminum so I have to go somewhere else for the window parts. :(

Bob, The brothers that did my pot metal did an excelent job. Example is the Impala trim that goes above the rear glass is pot metel and was really bad. It had 69 dimples where it was eaten up. Jesse told me he did not remember how many times the trim was diped in copper, but it came out looking new. It cost me $200.00, but I had no choice, could not find another anywhere that was not as bad as the one I had. www.JBChrome.com
Just another choice for you

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob, check out Paul's chrome plating in Evan's city,Pa . 1/800/245/8679. They do pot metal.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Should have just dumpster dived like I do! :D I wouldn't bother with peanuts especially now while they are in bad condition. Who cares if they get scratched during shipping?
I wasn't concerned about the scratches. I was more concerned about them banging around inside and maybe penetrating the cardboard. More headaches I don't need. I know that when they are returned, I'm keeping the box and packaging material to send the rear one in, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Feb. 26th the front bumper was sent out. Received a call today from the plater that the bumper was ready to be shipped back. That was real quick. Asked how it turned out and he said I would be very happy with it. Might get it back this week. When it arrives, I'll take some pics and tell you
what I think, Carmine.

Received email. Should be here Thursday afternoon.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bumper arrived yesterday (Thurs.). Didn't get a chance to look at it. I will and will also post some pics and give my assessment, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Trying to get that motor in was my first priority, so today was a good day. (Will continue about that in another thread). This afternoon took the 3 pieces out and examined them closely. What a great job they did. The finish is smooth, no wrinkles, no scratches, outstanding. Beautiful plating. I want to say its show car finish. Very, very happy with them. I didn't take any pics, but would highly recommend them. In fact, soon I will send them the rear bumper to do. Can't beat the turn around time. Three weeks to the day from when sent. Can't go wrong with these guys, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Good news! That's where I'm sending mine. I've been soaking mine in acid to get some of the rust off the backs before I ship them. Figure the better condition, the better the price.

I wonder if I should ship all 6 in one box or do them 3 and 3? :rub

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Good news! That's where I'm sending mine. I've been soaking mine in acid to get some of the rust off the backs before I ship them. Figure the better condition, the better the price.

The 3 pieces in one box was fairly bulky. Even if I sent the rear one, I would have used a separate box. You certainly can, but I don't think sending all 6 pieces at one time in the same box is a good idea. Even the return box packaged by the plater was bulky, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

We sand blast the back side so they come out nice, front and back of the bumper. DO NOT sand blast the front(of the bumper) as this will create more work for the polisher to remove those blasting indentations.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The backs of mine were remarkably clean and rust free. I didn't do anything to them.

bobs409

Administrator
Most of mine had coarse rust on he back because the car sat outside for years while I "grew up". I'm making up for my mistake now. :p

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I put the front bumper on yesterday and had an opportunity to look at it closely. What a great job tricity plating in Tenn. did. No little dents, dings or scratches. The chrome is even and flowed on nicely. I'm definitely going to send them my rear bumper. I know everyone has their favorite platter, but these guys are good. I would highly recommend them. I even got back the one I sent. How nice to have everything line up like its suppose to. I included 3 pics of the bumper and one of the passenger side engine. When I posted pics the other day, this one was blurry, so I tried again. After installing the bumper, I almost had a serious mishap. My friend who helped me wanted to hear the motor run. Sure, no problem. The car had been up in the air for ease of putting the bumper on. I let it down onto the skates because I'm still using them for positioning purposes. I thought I found the neutral gate on the shifter and put the clutch in. Started the motor and after a few seconds started to let the clutch out slowly; at least I thought I did. All of a sudden, heard a big bang under the car and the back end bounced. Had no idea what happened. Shut off the motor and took a look. Holy crap. I had the car in reverse and when I let the clutch out, it spun those skates forward like a missle. They hit the arms of the lift but no damage. I looked at the back of the car and here is what's scary: the back bumper is the thickness of your thumb from the sheetrock wall. This came so close to going through the wall, its unbelievable. This is the second time this has happened. Had my '56 gasser inside and started it one day not realizing it was in reverse. No neutral switch. With the electric fuel pump, it started immediately and took off. Stopped just in time. I hate carelessness; especially when I do it. Have to tighten things up some. Thanks for looking at the pics, Carmine.

4.3.15  1.JPG 4.3.15  2.JPG 4.3.15  4.JPG 4.3.15  5.JPG 4.3.15 3.JPG