Front control arm bumpers

bobs409

Administrator
Hmmm, bought new ones on ebay that were listed to fit Impala, Chevelle, etc but when I compare to my old one, it's much bigger. :rub

Any idea if this is correct? Did Chevelle use the same bumper?

Thanks. :)

DSCN3717.JPG

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, The one on the left is the same bumper we've installed on all of our '62-'64 restorations.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Ray, don't know how I could manage without your knowledge. :D

Ok Jim, guess if it worked for you, it should work for me too. ;)

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:scratch I don't remember ones that looked like either......just ones that bolt down with 2 bolts. :scratch Maybe there are these 2 as well and mine were missing????

bobs409

Administrator
Mine has those ones as well. The one I posted above sits under the upper control arm and can't really be seen.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:scratch I don't remember ones that looked like either......just ones that bolt down with 2 bolts. :scratch Maybe there are these 2 as well and mine were missing????
Jason, the ones your thinking of go on the lower control arm... These go on the top of the frame under the upper control arm.. The ones on the left are the ones I used on mine.. Just replaced them before the big trip:D

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So they are on the frame and not on the upper arm itself? Okay....I just knew I didn't remember seeing any bumpers mounted to the upper arms. Can't remember whether anything was still there on the frame or not. Probably need to check into that soon.

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob. It looks to me like the ones pictured are the same.
Looks to me like the old one is just that, old and wore. Notice the shaft part how much longer it looks.
I think the old one is just pounded down and wore from years of use. That is what it looks like to me in the picture.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
And that was the good one Jim, you should have seen the other side! :D I don't know, to look at it in person, it really looks like it was made smaller. As long as the new one's work, it won't matter. Let the next guy who rebuilds the front end (in another 51 years from now) deal with it. :p

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Probably out in the weather-rain-too long and shrunk lol. I just replaced mine which I purchased at Hubbards. Same size as the old.