Front Disc Brakes and dual master cylinder

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
GM,

I want to install front disc brakes on the 63 Biscayne.

It has 15" steel rims and I've been told the largest disc, I can install is 13" on the front and keep the steel rims, Is that true?

Also what manufacture's do you guy's recommend?

Thanks Ted :drinking

20191120_134615.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can not put 13" disc brakes on any 15" wheel. Where ever you heard that you should take them off your trusted list.
Wheel diameter is but one of the concerns. The biggest issue is the wheel hitting the face of the caliper regardless of diameter.
You have stock looking 15" steel wheels, what are they? GM OEM or aftermarket?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Do you know the specific application? 55/56 car had nubs, Corvette up to 1962 had nubs but not same as car. 63-67 Corvette were 15" also but no nubs. Most passenger cars were still 14" until late 60's/70's
55/56 Chevy car would be the most restrictive
Where were you told 13" would fit?

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Do you know the specific application? 55/56 car had nubs, Corvette up to 1962 had nubs but not same as car. 63-67 Corvette were 15" also but no nubs. Most passenger cars were still 14" until late 60's/70's
55/56 Chevy car would be the most restrictive
Where were you told 13" would fit?
Hi Mike,

A friend told me 13", when you say nubs, what am I actually looking for and I'll reply.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks Ted

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
12" is the largest I have ever seen fit a 15" wheel and it takes an aftermarket mag to do that
The problem with steel wheels is mostly the shallowness of the wheel, they can hit the face of the caliper

Here's my options:

The old tried and true Chevelle based rotor kit, will 100% clear your wheels, 11" rotor big GM calipers but moves wheel outward 3/4". Never was an issue until people started lowering their cars. Bracket set bolts to stock spindles

Zero offset kit designed to clear 14" wheels. Will fit your wheels 100%. Uses 10.5" rotors with a low profile GM caliper

My designed zero offset 11.2" rotors big GM caliper seperate hub/rotor bolts to stock spindles
might not fit your wheels. Will not fit 55/56 15" wheels, will fit 63 newer Corvette probably fit most any newer 15" wheel
fitment issue is due to shallow wheels hitting face of caliper

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
12" is the largest I have ever seen fit a 15" wheel and it takes an aftermarket mag to do that
The problem with steel wheels is mostly the shallowness of the wheel, they can hit the face of the caliper

Here's my options:

The old tried and true Chevelle based rotor kit, will 100% clear your wheels, 11" rotor big GM calipers but moves wheel outward 3/4". Never was an issue until people started lowering their cars. Bracket set bolts to stock spindles

Zero offset kit designed to clear 14" wheels. Will fit your wheels 100%. Uses 10.5" rotors with a low profile GM caliper

My designed zero offset 11.2" rotors big GM caliper seperate hub/rotor bolts to stock spindles
might not fit your wheels. Will not fit 55/56 15" wheels, will fit 63 newer Corvette probably fit most any newer 15" wheel
fitment issue is due to shallow wheels hitting face of caliper

Thanks Mike, Now I got too think :drinking

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
By the way, the only kits that use 12" are drop spindles
The only OEM rotor that fits your spindles directly is the 1969-72 Chevelle rotor, all other require either a seperate hub/rotor or bearing adaptors or a 2" drop spindle

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You're asking me about a piece of shit pirate jack kit:doh That's the Chevelle rotor kit that moves outward 3/4" I sell it for less
And their brackets are the worst around from China. holes wrong size, stamped and misaligned. Good luck.
I make my stuff in California