Front spindle castle nut

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Replaced front hubs on my 62' when converting to disc brakes. The cuts on the castle nuts are now not deep enough to reach the cotter pin hole. If I deepen the cuts there will only be about 3 threads between the bottom of the cut and the end of the nut.
If I install the nut on backwards I can get the nut on all the way and get a cotter pin in. Not ideal but appears it will work. Are there other options?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I and most any good vendor supplies special castle nuts for this reason. Turning upside down is OK as long as you use the tang washer. A tang washer must always be used.
Cutting the slot deeper is also good, reduced threads are not a concern as the nuts are not in compression as a torqed nut would be.
You could also marked which slot is the one that matches up and then just deep cut that one(pair) slot.

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you for the info. Seems like turning the nut around would be superior to only having 3 threads depth?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it fits then that's good. Just make absolutely sure you're using the tang washer under the nut, do not try to gain clearance by leaving the washer out.