Front Spindle Left to Right interchange?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Are the left and right stub axles on a 61 able to be swapped side to side ? I cant find a part or casting number and they bother look the same

Steve

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Not a 100% sure, but I was of the understanding they apply a bit of caster and therefore are L and R, others may chime in though

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I think maybe the poster is referring to the front spindles as stub axles. If so, they are interchangeable side for side.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Guys,

Front spindles, termination over here as stub axles, sorry for confusion

yes rear axles different lengths

Was wondering if there was on the 61 any caster built into the front spindle castings and how you can tell the difference

Steve

bubpletop62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Correct. I just rebuilt front/rear suspension three wks ago on my ‘62 Belair. Yep, had rear backing plates wrong.........changed them out and ebrake cable fit perfect. Finished front rebuild. Brake line didn’t fit(?). Switched them out......... perfect. I learn the hard way!!!!!
Funny when things go together correctly, things just line-up and function perfectly.
Dennis Bubp

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks guys,
It was a fight to get the LH one on with no body weight on the chassis
Was not looking forward to pulling it apart and swapping it over

Thanks

Steve

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Rear backing plates would be side specific due to the parking brake cable. Don't recall anything specific on the front.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Front spindle same left or right from 59-62 part number 3756789. 58 is by itself of course p/n 3749438. The steering arm that your tie rod bolts to is tirckier 58 by itself L&R different part numbers, 59 by itself L&R different part numbers 60-62 L&R different part numbers. If you can locate donor hubs from 61-67 I would highly recommend switching to them and the tapered roller bearings are MUCH better design and safer then the ball bearing design. Be sure to get the big washer with the tang on it from the donor as they are different size.