Front springs

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
After many months and countless hours spent in the garage, the front end of my 63 is back on and the rebuilt 409 and 4-speed installed! Everything looks just how I wanted it to look when I started this project except for the front ride height. I replaced the front springs with springs that I thought were going to raise the front. Actually it looks like they have done the opposite! The front looks the same if not just a little lower than with the original, worn out springs!! I purchased a pair of MOOG 658A springs. I looked for 9-passenger wagon with 409 and AC springs. Thats what the books show these springs fitting. They also fit the same car but with a smallblock! Huh? In addition, they also list them for Super Sport cars.

I've done some searching in the forum and found that people report the MOOG 6004 springs raising the front up. Right now, with stock wheels and stock size radial tires, the bottom of my front fenders are 11 inches off the floor. Does any one have a car with 6004 springs that can give me a measeurement of how far thier fenders are off of the floor? It would help to give me a benchmark.

I also badly need to preplace my rear springs. Does anyone have any part numbers that they can share for those?

Now if it would just warm up enough so I could finally start the engine!!

Ross

60biscayne

Supporting Member 1
Rear Springs

hI. I don't have a part number, off hand, but I bought a set of "Heavy Duty" Rears, from Advanced Auto, and they defintely raised the back about 1-2 inches Min. This car is a 6 cyl., now, and has 38,000 miles on it, so it really wasn't sitting low to start with. If you send me your email address, I can send you a recent picture if you like. This is a 60', so it looks good, a little higher in the back, at least my son and I think so. Thanks for your info, cause when we drop the '09 in this car, we're wondering which springs to go with. 60 biscayne.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Springs

I got my springs from Detroit Eaton Spring, Co. You call them, tell them what you have, and they can tell you what spring you need to do what you want. They have the Chevrolet book with the spring rates from the 60s. I put them in, and it sits just right. I'm sure they could help you. That is their business. They are in Detroit, Michigan. I'm sure they have a web site.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

M

MK IISS

Unlike the 61-62 SS the '63 SS came from the factory with special springs which gave it a lower ride height than the other 63s, for example a regular Impala. Therefore you would not want a spring listed for a SS.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard is correct, the ride height of the 63SS is 1" lower than the regular Impala. If you want the front end to set up, don't purchase springs that are listed for the SS. I purchased my springs from a local spring shop, I gave them the information for the car and it sat just as the assembly manual said it would. Like you, I wanted it up in the front a little so I just installed the screw-in spacers. I ain't chang'n the springs again!!:takethat

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"I aint chang'in the springs again!!" I bought springs from NAPA for 62 409. Still several months from installing eng-trans so I dont know where the ride height will be. It may be a little high or a little low. Wherever it ends up at is fine with me. "I aint chang'in the springs again!!" :nono1:

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment! I'm really not looking forward to pulling the front springs but it looks like I'm going to have to do just that. Luckily, I think I can return the springs that I have as they have zero miles on them. I must have been thinking of the 61-62 SS cars when I went for a heavier spring. I don't neccesarily need to have the nose of the car pointing to the sky but right now the entire car is just too low to the ground.

I did look at Eaton but I guess I decided on the springs from the parts store as I could get them the next day.

Fred, do you remember about how long it took to receive your springs? What was the cost?

Thanks for the help on this. I'll either get this figured out on this next try or get really good at swapping front springs!

Ross

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Detroit Springs

Seems to me it wasn't long. Maybe a few days. I don't remember the price at all. Can't help you on that point. Don't think it was a hundred dollars. But, don't hold me to that. Memory isn't what it used to be.