fuel line

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
I tried searching and did not find an exact answer for my question so here it is.

My Car originally had a 5/16 fuel line, I am putting in a 409 do I need to upgrade to a 3/8 fuel line or will I be OK with my existing 5/16.

I am trying to keep cost down so what ever I can re use I want to.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I tried searching and did not find an exact answer for my question so here it is.

My Car originally had a 5/16 fuel line, I am putting in a 409 do I need to upgrade to a 3/8 fuel line or will I be OK with my existing 5/16.

I am trying to keep cost down so what ever I can re use I want to.

:nono1::nono1::nono1:....There are a couple reasons you will want to go to the 3/8" fuel line. 1. delivery. The 5/16" line is not adequate to feed that 409. 2. The 5/16" fuel line runs on the outside of the frame and if you are planning duel exhaust then you will want to run the fuel line down the driveling tunnel as this is the way the 3/8" fuel line is run...:deal The fuel lines are relatively cheap. Don't shoot yourself in the foot trying to save 80.00....:doh

1960impala283

Well Known Member
In the mid 90's, I went to the drag strip after just installing a decent 350 small block in the chevy, and ran out of gas at the 1000 ft mark. :doh Ran a 14.5 beating a 5.0 mustang, coasting in neutral across the line...:roll

We tried the fuel filter and things that day but it did on the next couple passes as well. When I got home I installed a 3/8 line.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
3/8 fuel line

I would use nothing but prebent stainless fuel lines. They are priced within $20 of the steel lines. With a frame off restoration it is extremely easy and can be done on a frame on restoration. I have both types of installations. At the prices noted its worth the cost. With a powder coated frame on my last car, the stainless look nice look forever is the ticket.

I have hand cleaned (clear coated original 3/8" fuel line sets) but never have used them.

Also as stated original 283 cars -5/16" fuel lines run on the outside of the frame vs through the frame with factory 3/8" - 327 and 409 cars.

Paul Stensland

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Much of the benefit from going to 3/8 fuel line will not be realized unless you also change the tank sender unit.

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
Much of the benefit from going to 3/8 fuel line will not be realized unless you also change the tank sender unit.

Ronnie I figured that would be the case no use to have a 5/16 sending unit and 3/8 line.

The thing is that the car had duel exhaust and 5/16 fuel lines, however that was all done by the previous owner when they put in the 350 that was in the car when I got it. The car was fairly messed up when I got it and thats why it turned in to a frame off restoration.

Also do I need to add the return line to the car as well since I am upgrading to 3/8 line and the car is off the frame. Is there a benefit to having the return line? :dunno

well I will also need to look at the condition of my steel break lines and see if I need to replace them as well.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Here is another option. When I upgraded to the 3/8 fuel line, I left the 5/16 line in place and used for the return line. I removed the sending unit from the tank, drilled a hole and silver soldered a new 3/8" tube for the fuel pickup alongside the existing 5/16 tube. Moved the sock over to the 3/8" line. The return line was only used on the '63-'64 409 motors to help prevent vapor lock. Keeps the fuel circulating when demand is low. Leo

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
62ImpalaSS,,,,,,, I am all for saving money. But if the body is off the frame, I would definetly replace fuel and brake lines. And don't forget the rear rubber flex brake line. Sometimes it can look good but be really be restrictive on the inside. Trying to do that job with the body on is an unpleasant job. Wished I could practice what I preach. My car still has the 5/16 fuel line and has been that way for over 3 years. 481 engine. One of these days I'm gonna get around to changing the fuel line and sender. Ah, who am I kidding, probably won't ever get done. :roll:roll

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
So here is what I am going to do. Order a 3/8 line and reuse my 5/16 as a return line. Modify the sender to have a 3/8 output. I will run the 5/16 in its original location and the 3/8 on the inside.

Well back to the garage and do some work this afternoon. :cool:

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So here is what I am going to do. Order a 3/8 line and reuse my 5/16 as a return line. Modify the sender to have a 3/8 output. I will run the 5/16 in its original location and the 3/8 on the inside.

Well back to the garage and do some work this afternoon. :cool:

Give me a call when you get a moment.