Fuel line

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone I have a question about fuel line.on my 58 impala I have two lines the normal one piece that goes to the sending unit to the fuel pump then I have one that comes from the back off the gas tank but it's not hook up does anyone know where that one supposedly go please help and thank for all the help

wristpin

Well Known Member
Going out on a limb here but on a '67 El Camino I'm repairing the fuel vent line went up to the fuel fill pipe. There was a metal nipple which came off the 1.25" metal fill tube about 9" from the fill neck. That 11/16" hose went from the fuel tank to that metal nipple.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
So I shouldn't cap it. Right or what will happen if I do thanks for fast response

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Also looks like at the end if it had like chrome filter but one end is open my problem is when I park in my drive way gas seeps out of that line

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know that around the mid 60's they had a rubber hose that left the vent of the gas tank, then would go up on the passenger side of the car just above the suspension to a hard line with a loop. That way they would not leak.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did they have a return line on a 58 348? Or was that a later year change on the 409?

I'd just plug it since none was needed in original 58's and for many years later. Your gas cap should be vented to allow air to enter as gas is consumed.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
See if your fill tube has a fitting on the side for a hose to connect to. That might be where the extra line from your sender goes. That aids in getting fuel in tank so air is not trapped while filling and eliminate fuel burping 'Your filler is at rear lower center of trunk lid so that hose it may run across top of tank, not positive for sure on that .

ragtp66

Well Known Member
If your asking about the one on the passenger side rear of the gas tank then yes that is a vent line. The vent line is a hard line that is clipped to the back side of the trunk weatherstrip gutter on the passenger side the rubber line goes through a grommet in the trunk floor near the tail panel.https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/bfv5801s08473AB5-1AF8-45BE-9F4E-746D78698EB4.jpeg

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Cool thank you... it does come out the back side of gas thank.its just when I have a full tank a gas and I park it in the drive way gas come out that line

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Is your gas cap vent plugged by any chance? It would create a vacuum when driving, but when setting in driveway with gas warming up it would expand.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The gas cap is new it don't have no vent on it.. and I just pulled it out and park in driveway and it was just dripping slowly out of that vent line ....thank for ur help everyone