Fuel lines and antifreeze

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’m driving 3 hours there and 3 hours back, so I cannot text/ respond while driving but I’ll stop now and then and check phone.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Speaking to your comment about your M21 having a “close shift pattern”. The M21 is commonly called a “close ratio” and the M20 a “wide ratio”. They both have the same shift pattern. The terms “wide” and “close” comes from the gear ratios being different, and not the pattern how they shift. The M21 was more than likely from a high horsepower engine powered car. In actuality, the wide ratio M20 is geared better for off the line performance. I’ve always heard that taking the first gear ratio times your rearend ratio - the closer you’re to the number 10+, the better your off the line performance will be.

Fuzz

MAGA

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Speaking to your comment about your M21 having a “close shift pattern”. The M21 is commonly called a “close ratio” and the M20 a “wide ratio”. They both have the same shift pattern. The terms “wide” and “close” comes from the gear ratios being different, and not the pattern how they shift. The M21 was more than likely from a high horsepower engine powered car. In actuality, the wide ratio M20 is geared better for off the line performance. I’ve always heard that taking the first gear ratio times your rearend ratio - the closer you’re to the number 10+, the better your off the line performance will be.

Fuzz

MAGA

I appreciate the knowledge, so my rear end is a 4:11 Posi, I thought I read 2.01 on my first gear? is that the info to get your number? 8.26?

Yes I thought just that, different shift patterns tighter/sloppy...... So that clears that up. thank you.

Last edited:

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
If you have an M21, your gear ratios are 2:20 - 1:64 - 1:28 - 1:00. Never heard of a 2:01 ratio. This gives you a product of 9.042 multiplying first gear times your rearend gearing.

A M20 (depending on year) 1963-65 would have gear ratios of 2:56 - 1:91 - 1:48 - 1:00
1966-74 have gear ratios of 2:52 - 1:88 - 1:46 - 1:00
So a M20 with a 2:56 first gear and 4:11 rearend gear gives you a product of 10.5216.

Comparing the two transmissions with your same rearend gears gives the M20 the mathematical edge for performance off the line. 10.5 compared to 9.0.

People reminisce about their old 57 Chevy three speed ripping other cars racing. Guess why? That three speed has a
2:94 first gear. A 57 three speed vs. a M20 (same rear gears) should mathematically performance wise be better off the line. Of course their are other variables like vehicle weight, horse power and if Phil or Dave is driving :poke .

Fuzz

MAGA

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
cool information guys, love it

My Muncie I know is a M21, oh well, I'll be in the top 10, good enough for me lol

So a little update:

I was adjusting my clutch and the keeper pin was not in at the moment so it fell out, dropped from there to 6"-7" to the ground.

Snapped the head right off the clutch Rod, to the Throw out bearing fork, WTH? no way possible, but it did, took it out to the garage welded it up, it works, Called Bruce ordered another new one from Show Cars, $65.00 later its on its way here.

I put the welded up one in and got it all adjusted, gears and clutch shifting great now, pretty damn close.

Moving on.......

New tank, sending unit, gas lines fuel pump, gas gauge works.

I am not paying attention , it runs out of gas, clear fuel filter pretty obvious, Go get another 5 gallons of gas, pour it in, takes off like you would expect, runs 30 seconds and dies, can't get it to stay running? WTH?, we're past this stage, already dialed in and working well, what would be the damn issue now??? I smell fuel, look underneath, reason it wont stay running is I have no pressure at the carb, because 80% of it is dripping out of the fuel pump. I get under there and look it over very well to discover the Cheap A$$ fuel pump $97 from Summit and Mr. Gasket, has a hair line crack spraying everywhere, but hey the clutch is adjusted so partial win entry on that function.

I call Summit, get told I am out of warranty, I have one on the shelf I am going to install tomorrow. Brakes bled and working great.

The housing is like a pot metal/aluminum Chrome plastic, so a OEM is going on tomorrow., on a interesting note the one that blew up was rated at 110 GPH, 8 psi., The one I am going back in with 50GPH, 6 PSI, which I think, if I understand is what Don recommended in that range. 6 PSI range.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You are in the process of finding all of the weak spots. You should eventually get through that!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
cool information guys, love it

My Muncie I know is a M21, oh well, I'll be in the top 10, good enough for me lol

So a little update:

I was adjusting my clutch and the keeper pin was not in at the moment so it fell out, dropped from there to 6"-7" to the ground.

Snapped the head right off the clutch Rod, to the Throw out bearing fork, WTH? no way possible, but it did, took it out to the garage welded it up, it works, Called Bruce ordered another new one from Show Cars, $65.00 later its on its way here.

I put the welded up one in and got it all adjusted, gears and clutch shifting great now, pretty damn close.

Moving on.......

New tank, sending unit, gas lines fuel pump, gas gauge works.

I am not paying attention , it runs out of gas, clear fuel filter pretty obvious, Go get another 5 gallons of gas, pour it in, takes off like you would expect, runs 30 seconds and dies, can't get it to stay running? WTH?, we're past this stage, already dialed in and working well, what would be the damn issue now??? I smell fuel, look underneath, reason it wont stay running is I have no pressure at the carb, because 80% of it is dripping out of the fuel pump. I get under there and look it over very well to discover the Cheap A$$ fuel pump $97 from Summit and Mr. Gasket, has a hair line crack spraying everywhere, but hey the clutch is adjusted so partial win entry on that function.

I call Summit, get told I am out of warranty, I have one on the shelf I am going to install tomorrow. Brakes bled and working great.

The housing is like a pot metal/aluminum Chrome plastic, so a OEM is going on tomorrow., on a interesting note the one that blew up was rated at 110 GPH, 8 psi., The one I am going back in with 50GPH, 6 PSI, which I think, if I understand is what Don recommended in that range. 6 PSI range.
Yes 6 PSI is about all those AVS2's will tolerate and 50 GPH will be plenty for your engine and what you want/expect it to do.