Fuel lines?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am try to figure out if I'm better off buy a set of pre-bent lines or bend them myself.
And what size I should use?
I had been thinking 3/8th inlet but not sure about return size.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Typically the inlet is larger than the return by about 1/8th. inch.That said,I see nothing wrong with making both lines the same size.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It really depends how comfortable you are with making lines. I personally don't think I would ever buy pre-bent lines. I enjoy making lines and I wouldn't want to pay the extra money being the cheap sob that I am. Like Don said, the diameter of the return line is usually smaller, but since there should be a small orifice regulating the amount of return, the return line size shouldn't matter.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
At one time, you couldn't convince me to buy pre bent lines. Wanted nothing to do with them. Made my own including brake lines. When I considered putting new gas lines in my '62, I bought the pre bent ones. Thought I'd give them a try. Followed the instructions and unbent them. I think there were 2-3 different lines. Have to tell you, those things fit like a glove. Only had to slightly tweak one line. Very satisfied with them. Definitely would install then again. Unless it was a single small line, I don't see me ever making lines again. If I could add, I also changed the brake lines on my '71 GTO, with the prebent ones. Only way for me to go, Carmine.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
At one time, you couldn't convince me to buy pre bent lines. Wanted nothing to do with them. Made my own including brake lines. When I considered putting new gas lines in my '62, I bought the pre bent ones. Thought I'd give them a try. Followed the instructions and unbent them. I think there were 2-3 different lines. Have to tell you, those things fit like a glove. Only had to slightly tweak one line. Very satisfied with them. Definitely would install then again. Unless it was a single small line, I don't see me ever making lines again. If I could add, I also changed the brake lines on my '71 GTO, with the prebent ones. Only way for me to go, Carmine.
This is the experience I want to have. The concern I have is the fuel injection. I'm curious how much I'll have to modify them to mount up with the regulator.
I suppose I could order the three piece kit from Show Cars and at worse, use two pieces and either modify the third or not use it.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With the blower,3/8ths. line will not let nearly enough volume through.That 3/8ths. inlet line will just barely support that engine when it's in N/A form.Get with F.A.S.T to find out what they recommend for a blown engine that's 750 horse capable.NEVER run a boosted engine lean.Things will turn ugly very fast!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You will probably go through less heartache if you bend your own and greater satisfaction when done. Bending line is not rocket science. Buy a $30.00 dollar bender with the degree markings And you can make the accurate lenght's you need. I have made my own fuel ,brake and vacuum line's and flared them . You will need a flaring tool also. You can probably Google brake line bending video's to show you how it is done . Since you are having lines that no one has a pattern for your application I think this would work best for you.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Is it possible/economical to bend stainless lines yourself? Just curious, I would prefer stainless if I had to replace. Don't know if stainless is more difficult to work with.

heddrik

Well Known Member
I was afraid of that.What would be a rust resistant alternative that is easier to work with? Or does anything like that exist? Thank you Mr LA

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was afraid of that.What would be a rust resistant alternative that is easier to work with? Or does anything like that exist? Thank you Mr LA
Rubber or plastic. Only kidding of course. I really don't know of anything other then regular steel and stainless. I have made gas lines from the fuel pump to the carb. before, using airplane grade aluminum tubing. I was told that the tubing could fracture from the vibration. Hmmmm……………....Good enough for an airplane, good enough for me. Never had any problems with it. Never used stainless steel, but heard it was very hard to flare, Carmine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I will never use anything again if I have that choice for hard lines.
Stainless will work harden, that makes it hard to work with and pron to crack.:furious
The copper nickel is very user friendly. :good

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Actually I have taken steel line and used buffing compound and buff wheel used for polishing stainless steel body trim and you can almost have it pass for chrome. I have buffed a top alternator bracket for my 63 and clear coated it and it does look like chrome .