Fuel Mileage

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I bought a 2017 Cruz last September as my Focus had 165,000 miles on it. The fuel mileage keeps getting better as it get broke in. The computer exaggerates the mileage a bit so I'll have to remember to manually calculate this week but it looks good on the dash.20180619_080600.jpg

62BillT

Well Known Member
When I rent a car I always get at least a Full Size. I always ask for a Chevy Impala, but they gave me a Kia. I would never own one, but have to say it was a pretty nice car. Something on the Dash Board kept showing me 41, 42 , 43 and I'm saying "what the heck are they trying to tell me". I finally looked close and it was the Fuel Mileage!! It got up to 45.5. Never knew a Full Size could ever get mileage like that.

Skylor

Took them awhile it get it right, the new cars do very well with both performance and economy. Remember the mid seventies, when the gas embargo hit. Cars from the late 70's and 80's were sure a pos.

Really all those cars needed was more gearing--many came with 2.45 or 2.73 gears in back. yeah the camshafts and springs suck but a HE cam/springs with 3.73 gears and dual exhausts and U had nice ride and they had bench seats and lots of leg room.

That Cruz gets better mpg then any full size car could ever get but if you were to hit something with it, don't count on those air bags to save U. In fact i think the full size cars from the mid 70's were often safer on most crashes. Oh yeah, the roads were more deadly in 1975 but look what was on the roads, cars with drum brakes, you could be at .08 and be legal to drive, impaired was at .1 and drunk driving wasn't til .15, today that is "super drunk" in some states. Nobody wore their safety belts, there was no cell phones, if you hit, something U had to find a pay phone or wiat until a cop or other responder drove by, today 911 gets a call seconds after impact yet many people die before reaching a hospital but these new air bag cars are safer in a crash, more fake news, IMO.

Yeah yeah, today cars steer and stop much better, so that does make them safer but in a crash, good luck, U will need it...there is good reasons they tell U not to have children in the front seats with any air bag cars, even the brand new ones, read the safety warnings on the visors...if air bags work so great, how come deep pocket nascar don't use them ? Only places they use air bags are were they are mandated by law, no racing bodies use them, no buses or semi trucks have them. A helmet would be better, that is what some cops used back in the 60's-70's, I knew a cop back then who used to brag that he totaled out 9 squad cars so far and that is why he never takes off his little helmet

Last edited:

Skylor

Or then we got electronic speedos, they got rid of the cable driven ones, so now U can be going 70--80 mph and if U punch it, the speedo jumps way up yet the car doesn't shoot forward, it just seems like its picking up lots of speed...I miss those old mechanical speedos, they seemed more accurate at freeway speeds..oh yeah, today U are to set the speed with cruise control and watch how slow the engine speed is, 1.500 rpms at 65-70 mph..rembemer 4.10 gear cars going those speeds, the engine was turning 4,000 rpms and the car shot forward when punched..redline 6,500 meant the top speed was "slower" then thse new cars today, so in that regard the new cars are faster cause they got OD and low drag