Fuel quality

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't want opinions.....................on good and bad fuel brands.
Everyone has an opinion on gas branding its not a relevant fact. Rememeber that there are only a few refineries that supply all of your fuels in a given 100mile radius of your home and probably a 1000 miles. Most of our fuel choices comes from #1 price, #2 convenience, #3 opinion. I only know a couple of people who are serious racers that actually check the gravity of their fuel to determine how to tune their car and ensure they are getting a quality product. NO MATTER WHERE YOU GET YOUR FUEL, there is good fuel and bad fuel to be had that has nothing to do with where it came from or which company is selling to the public and everything to do with how it was transported and stored before you actually use it. I used to use a gravity hydrometer each day for Jet and Av fuel for a job I had at an airport. Fuel transporters have a very important job and we could not live our lives as we do without their service. They know they have so much time to get product to its gas station/fuel station before they will have a load that can basically spoil. In the 1000 loads I accepted over the years I never once found a gravity reading that was out of the range it needed to be in. People bad mouth "gas now days" as junk but keep in mind that our motor building has gotten better. If you cannot build a motor in this day and age that can take the "modern bad gas" then you probably shouldn't be building motors. No one disputes that gas is different and certainly no one can say that motors are just as they were before with modern tech we use now. Street cars with less that 500hp are nothing now. I remember in 1995 one guy I knew had a 454 with just over 500hp and he was one in a million. Now everyone has at least 500hp and everyone cries about the gas being bad. I'm going to buy a gravity hydrometer for myself and keep with me so the next time someone wants to complain about how bad the fuel is I will teach you how to use it to determine if it is actually bad or if your tune is bad. Dyno results are the only way to know how your engine can perform under ideal conditions with a given fuel. A car is not a good place for any motor to perform its best but blaming the fuel you bought on bad performance is dumb unless you can prove that fuel is actually bad. Most likely the fuel is fine but the storage of the fuel could be less than ideal. That includes where you keep your fuel. Tune whatever motor you have for whatever kind of gas you are going to run and stop blaming your ideals on a product that is probably just fine for what you are running it in. Granted there are different fuels that act and react differently with the physical engine parts you run. Buy gas for your application not based upon price, convenience or opinion.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You're so right,Randy.Back in the late 80's-early 90's when I was racing an average of three tracks a week,I had noticed a difference in my ET's depending on which of the major brands I was running.Sometimes there's be as much as .02 per run on the 1/8th on a Stock[except for some tuning and a small nitros kit] 86 Cavalier convertable with a mulit-port 2.8 v6 and a 125c trans.Pump gas will change formulation at least 3 times a year to compensate for weather.I worked for an Exxon station,and on one year I had experimented and found that Chevron was the most consistent,the following year,It turned out to be Exxon.I was bracket racing,consistency was all that I cared about as that and reaction times is what wins races.The same trends applied to my 78 Malibu with the warmed up 355 with a carb on it.This was before methonal was added to the fuels.The moral being to,once you find what works best for your car,use it,but keep an open mind for next year as things do change.

427John

Well Known Member
You are correct in that most fuel comes from the same refineries over half of which are located on the gulf coast,the inconsistencies are more a function of the blending with ethanol in the region of the end user and the storage at the retailer.While a lot has been done to prevent leakage out of the storage tanks to prevent contamination of ground water,it would appear that not nearly as much effort has been expended to prevent water contamination of the fuel inside the underground storage tanks.The end result is the same distributor delivering the same fuel to different retailers can still result in significant swings in fuel quality.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My rule of thumb in an unknown gas station is; a newer busy gas station will always have fresh fuel and less contamination in the vast majority of cases. I saw my childhood gas station get taken down and they dug up the tanks and left them there for a couple weeks and I will say that I would have never bought gas there if I would have seen those tanks before. New stations have much better systems but there is still the problem of operator error.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You're so right,Randy.Back in the late 80's-early 90's when I was racing an average of three tracks a week,I had noticed a difference in my ET's depending on which of the major brands I was running.Sometimes there's be as much as .02 per run on the 1/8th on a Stock[except for some tuning and a small nitros kit] 86 Cavalier convertable with a mulit-port 2.8 v6 and a 125c trans.Pump gas will change formulation at least 3 times a year to compensate for weather.I worked for an Exxon station,and on one year I had experimented and found that Chevron was the most consistent,the following year,It turned out to be Exxon.I was bracket racing,consistency was all that I cared about as that and reaction times is what wins races.The same trends applied to my 78 Malibu with the warmed up 355 with a carb on it.This was before methonal was added to the fuels.The moral being to,once you find what works best for your car,use it,but keep an open mind for next year as things do change.
I will say that to many people think race fuel is exempt from changing but it does. Only testing the fuel just before you intend on using it will give anyone an idea of what quality of fuel they have to work with. Absolutely find what works best for your engines and run that.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We only have few refineries ( I think there was 4 ) for all of CA and nothing comes in.

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Come By Chance Newfoundland refinery sold diesel into California for years, not sure about gas. They produced low sulphur diesel for CA long before it was needed anywhere else innorth America.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
I try not to buy fuel at older stations as Randy mentioned. Also try not to buy fuel at the same time a fuel tanker is unloading. Don’t know if fact or fiction - but was told long ago that when a tanker unloads, it stirs up all the crap that’s settled to the bottom of the storage tank. And when you fill up during this time, you get all the stirred up crap in your tank.

Fuzz

MAGA

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Interesting post Randy. :goodKinda makes sence Don. Being a bracket racer with a street/strip car, I always used the same fuel from my local BP petrol station, fuel was pump premium BP ultimate, 98 RON, 86 MON, 92 octane, this was with my previous 476 10.25 - 1 comp engine. Sometimes at the track with the moon and all the stars in line, DA at about 1000', killer conditions, the car just would not run the number. I know there are many varibles but the differences in fuel batches must have been one of them.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've worked on two cycle engines all my life, and four cycle as well. Lots and lots of small engines. And I've seen gas go bad in less than a month. I use ethanol shield in my gas when I mix it. I never use gas with ethanol in it for small engines! Kind of lucky because we have a gas station just down the road that's very busy, new tanks, and has 93 octane with no ethanol as well as 110 octane turbo blue right out of the pump. And it just happens to be on my way into town and the way back home! 6.35 a gallon is a little tough for just cruzing so I mix it with 93.... awesome conversation though.:appl:good

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I try not to buy fuel at older stations as Randy mentioned. Also try not to buy fuel at the same time a fuel tanker is unloading. Don’t know if fact or fiction - but was told long ago that when a tanker unloads, it stirs up all the crap that’s settled to the bottom of the storage tank. And when you fill up during this time, you get all the stirred up crap in your tank.

Fuzz

MAGA
Vast majority of stations have a filter going to the pump that "should" catch anything kicked up.