Fuel return line.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Any pictues on the routing of the fuel return line on the 63 Chevrolet. Does it clip to the fuel line, i can't seem to find any instructions or pictures.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I replaced my main line, and repaired the return. The return follows the brake line as opposed to routing with the 3/8 line, and at the rear axle it goes over to the driver’s side and exits. at the shock tower. A rubber fuel line the crosses back over to the unique sending unit.

the return line is one very long piece, and I could not replace it with the car on jacks. To do it with the body on I was going to cut the line in a couple of strategic spots and recouple them when in place. I did clean out my old,return and put it back into use after the PO replaced the whole main line with a single 5/16” rubber line, which was poorly rotted and attached. He disconnected the return line and did not use it.

and, FYI, it seems that the return line carries a lot of gas, as evidenced by a huge puddle that developed before I finally found the cut in the metal line.

I still have the unused line, and it looks like it’s a mile long.....

The Assembly Manual shows a bunch of different versions of the fuel lines, several of which do not include the return line and the three line fuel filter. The workshop manual,shows nothing on it, as I recall

my car is still on Jack’s, so if you need anything I can shimmy under it and take photso.

i believe Paul’s pics are of a 1962. Which did not have a return..