Fuel

gooser

Supporting Member 1
Hi folks,
Brand new fellow here. Finally got my dream machine @ 72. 62 SS 409/409 survivor unrestored in great shape. Sat since 92'. Got it last Dec. Have had the motor completely redone with all new internal parts exactly to OEM specs. Still 11:1 pistons, balanced & blueprinted. Top end all OE. Since we're in 2016, and pump gas here in TX is 93 with 1o% ethanol, I cannot find a proper source to advise me on what fuel to use, octane, octane boosters, 100LL Avgas blend, etc. Do not want detonation or take s chance on ruining a 10G motor.
Help Thanks

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site gooser! You'll get all the information you need here. Don't forget to post some pictures of your '62!

bobs409

Administrator
W motors aren't super sensitive to pinging from what I've learned & experienced with my own. The 93 octane should be fine but let's see if others agree first. The ethenol... use it only if you have to.

gooser

Supporting Member 1
Thanks folks. Bob, no choice with the 93. Has the min. 10%. Know what it does to my 84 PU with a 350/375 with a Holley 650 on top. Gums up really bad. Do not want to foul up those wonderful AFB's. Local airport has 100LL Avgas, but I'm a bit scared of it. cuzineddy, any recommendations for brand type
boosters.........Lucas,Royal Purple, Klotz, etc.?
Have always used Shell top-tier prem.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Nothing wrong with Avgas if you can stand the price. I recommend Joe Gibbs Carb Defender to add to your gas here in Texas. Keeps everything clean. Best I have ever used. Check it out. Where in Texas are you, I live in Hamilton, Tx. After checking, I see where you live, not too far from me.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

cuzineddy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks folks. Bob, no choice with the 93. Has the min. 10%. Know what it does to my 84 PU with a 350/375 with a Holley 650 on top. Gums up really bad. Do not want to foul up those wonderful AFB's. Local airport has 100LL Avgas, but I'm a bit scared of it. cuzineddy, any recommendations for brand type
boosters.........Lucas,Royal Purple, Klotz, etc.?
Have always used Shell top-tier prem.
I have access to 91 oct. NO ALCOHOL fuel. I use it in my boat, lawn tractor, the 409. When I use it in the 409, I mix up this formula and pour it in the no alcohol gas....it's a phillips 66 station out in the country...they cater to the farmers.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Gooser you can put your fears to rest concerning the av gas.It will not cause ANY issues,has no alcohol in it,and stores well.It is against certain laws for them to put directly into a car,but they can put into a container that's approved for gasoline.I have used it ,as have others,for years without any fuel related issues what so ever.W head's option about that particular additive is a very sound one.If you are running the correct timing and jetting for the fuel being used,and keep the engine temperature down to around 180.you'll be fine.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome aboard,
I put my leftover race fuel my street 09s and a big difference from 93

LowKat

Well Known Member
Some boat marinas have non-alcohol gas with pumps you can drive up to.
I manage a car collection and kinda lucky there's a mom and pop store by a nearby lake that carries it.
Our antique cars start much easier with "real" gas.
Welcome to the site.

gooser

Supporting Member 1
Thanks a lot. Nearest water to me is Amistead Reservoir down on the border. Getting the beast back next week after a six month minor resto.
Think I'll begin with a blend of Shell pump Nitro & 100LL Avgas plus Joe Gibbs carb defender. She's been fired up, roars like a lion and feels really good with all new internal parts. Fix a few leaks and minor voltage problems, and we're good-to-go. Thanks to all for your valuable input!