Fun On The Water

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
A few years back (try 20 ish) a Grumman Albatross was in NZ from the USA.
I think John and Jan Joiner were the people that owned and flew it.
It was their home and they travelled the world on it
They were moth into marine biology and both flew the plane
I had a look through it. was bloody amazing.
They had a water filtration plant on board that could process sea water or sewer/river water into drinking water

Steve

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The could very well have been built by my friend in Tucson. That was his specialty, taking surplus airplanes from the boneyard and making them airworthy. He finally quit last year and was selling off the rest of his stock. You could have bought one for about $20k us without engines or props. Add about $150k to make it flyable but not necessarily pretty.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You do them one at a time and as a result you may make a full circle each way depending on how quick you are.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
I see, something else I always wondered how did they pull the props though on high engine aircraft like the Catalina if they become hydraulic locked? Pretty sure the starters had clutch’s on the to prevent bending a rod?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Depends on the starter. The older starters of WWII vintage probably didn't have the clutch if they pulled them through. You don't pull them through on a geared engine if they do. You would have enough mechanical advantage to bend a rod if it locks. Let the starter clutch take care of it.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yep, let the fun begin. I spent a good deal of time straddling the service platform on the side of the engine with my head inside the accessory section pulling strainers or straddling the prop dome changing plugs. Never had to do it on the water though.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've always been fascinated with looking at and reading about airplanes; especially the older ones. Thanks for sharing the video and dialogue. At one time, not too long ago in my area, 3 WW2 planes would fly in to our county airport and go on display for a few days. I believe there was a B17, B24 and a fighter plane. It was totally amazing to see these so up close. For the admission, you could tour the bombers. I was amazed at how little room there was in the belly of the bombers. If I was any bigger, I'm not sure I could have made it through. Guess that space was reserved for the bombs. They also offered rides for a given price. I think the fighter plane was $400.00 for about a 20 minute ride. The bombers were a little cheaper. They haven't been back in a few years to my knowledge. I regret not going up in one when I had the chance, Carmine.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I used to read a monthly magazine or was it two magazines that was published every other month all about military aircraft. I haven’t seen one in years but I used to read it from cover to cover. Had a basement flood and lost them all.
Sure was interesting reading .

Dave

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I took a ride in a AT (an AT-11??) and in a C-47 when CAF brought them in. Missed out on the bombers and too cheap for the fighters, but it's a lot of fun.

Back when I was a kid I flew quite a bit in O-1Ds and OV-1s and occasionally the usual Beavers, etc. To me, fixed wing planes were more interesting than the rotary-wing stuff. Then again, I didn't have a choice, it was more like "get in, dummy!".